Monday, February 1, 2016

Session XVI 11716 - 13016

WHEN YOU SKIP A DAY... YOU PAY!!!!


Survival Protocol

Chapter III: Winter 122015 - 32616

Session XVI 11716 - 13016


After two weeks of boasting (my weight was below 180 lbs for 8 out of 14 days, I was getting into the gym regularly doing a day of high intensity interval training then a day of heavy lifting and walking 40 minutes home from the gym) BLAM!!! I exploded up to 183 lbs. The second week of Session XV, I gained 9 lbs and answered with a loss of only about 5. This was the highest single week gain of the Bootcamp Year. 

I have both a scientific analysis and an emotional analysis and the scientific one probably wouldn't hold up. I think those two weeks put my body in an artificial state that proved to be unsustainable. The question is 'Why, is/was it unsustainable?" My guess, based on previous regimens, is that I didn't go for three weeks straight. It's been my experience that once I get past three weeks, the Bod tends to settle in and accept the program. However, even as I write this I recall the 2014, ninety day cardio challenge when I dropped 5 lbs. in the first three weeks and by the end of the 90 days I was the same weight as when I started. Certainly my body had changed and I like to believe that the muscle to fat ratio improved (but I didn't have a scale that measured those values at the time.) 



Well,  here's another chart so we can take a closer look. The protocol was, at least 30 minutes of cardio every morning and no alcohol. In addition I'd lift, teach my classes, etc. The second day I spiked. In two weeks I was down 3.5 lbs. I bottomed out at 184 and plateaued for 3 days, at 6 weeks in. Then started climbing again until I was right back where I started. I peaked at 192.2 before the end of that year.




Here's the chart from the last Session (Jan 3 - 16, 2016) 15... Quite a different pattern, but it's still too early to tell how this will turn out. 

Okay, so much for nerdy stuff. Here's  my emotional assessment. I punked out. I lost my discipline. In fact, I made a choice to be social and knowing full well that weigh gain would happen. But I also know that my recovery time isn't (or hasn't been) more than a couple of days. I also (think I) know the formula. there's no reason The Bod wouldn't get back on track if I picked up on the pattern I used to get those bragging rights. 

This session is going to have to be more disciplined, because I'm on a mission. More on that later. Let's get Session 16 moving!!! 



Yikes… let’s take a look at this week… Monday we got our isht together and with a combo of sleep, lifting and group fitness (& diet) we got back into the orange and by mid-week back below 180 lbs, which is the guideline for this Winter Chapter, in addition to keeping the ratio above 2.8:1, still aiming for 3:1 which I think I can hit before the Spring comes. HIIT was consistent this week, as well as walking home from the gym. Took a Market-Walk on Thursday, yet remained on a three day plateau. I thought I’d finish off the week coming down off the plateau, but posted a gain, despite an HIIT day and walk home. Must be the weather… a blizzard hit on Saturday.


Day
Sunday
1-17
Monday
1-18
Tuesday
1-19
Wednesday
1-20
Thursday
1-21
Friday
1-22
Saturday
1-23
Ave.
Weight
183
180.4
180.4
179
179
179
180.2
180.1
Body Fat %
16
15.3
15.4
15.2
15.2
15.2
15.5
15.4
BF wt.
29.28
27.6
27.78
27.21
27.21
27.21
27.93
27.73
H2O %
61.4
62
61.9
62
62
62
61.8
61.9
H2O wt
112.18
111.85
111.66
111
111
111
111.36
111.48
Muscle mass %
43.6
44
43.9
44
44
44
43.9
43.9
Muscle wt.
79.8
79.38
79.2
78.78
78.78
78.78
79.11
79.06
MM:BF
ratio
2.73
2.88
2.85
2.89
2.89
2.89
2.83
2.85







Summary – 1-17-16: Red Zone after the party and back into the gym for HIIT#6, strong body weight work, power walk home.



11716 – [Sunday #214] – Boom! Terror attack!! Session 16 starts now.
Woke early – no telling how early, but enough to get back to sleep. Then up with the alarm.
AMX – core, stretch and leg (lateral raises0 twist, abs (inc wheel) one set.
Tea
Weigh in – BOOM! The equivalent of a terror attack. These are the numbers consistent exercise has been holding back. so two days away from the routine have cost mea dearly. (Drama, yeah.) time to get back. session 16 begins today – and this will take me to the end of the month.

Next month I may have to play it pretty austere to prep for travel.

Bkft – turkey stew (done) Peanut butter scoop.


  • Round I: [N] – Late about 1150

    Lunch- Tootsie’s 74%, kale, feta, chicken, hummus, cabbage. 

    Round II: [T-M] 1425 snow – must discipline/force myself to the Y. 

    Thinking sea salt purge this eve.



I closed my eyes and saw purple blobs floating around in the darkness. I tried to see them better but I couldn’t. I need to just let it be.



YMCA – Finally got back.

HIIT#6 – Max speed 8.6 mph. Max HR 160-163 good power and energy. Handstand pushups 6, then less, 4 rounds. Pull ups, 7, then 6 kept it at 6-7 reps. Lunge twists, pencil dips, tough 4 & 5. Ball pushups, easier 2d set. Ball squat w/ 45 lbs plate overhead.


  • 60 minutes. BCAA’s & Bys.
    Walk home (video)
    Home… gainer/protein shake.
    Tea – chores tonight, laundry and film.
    Sleepy – learned my lesson about naps. Pre-2000 and I’m hitting the sack.
    Sea salt purge first.





Summary – 1-18-16: Long sleep 12 hrs. YMCA and back to lifting… walk and Functional Fitness.



11816 – [Monday #215] –  wake and out of bed, close to 12 hours sleep.

Tea – and intermittent AMX. The usual, but not dynamic. Coming off of an HIIT day, AMX doesn’t seem as relevant. Another tea and slow to ambition today.

Weigh in – 180.4 – 15.3 – 62 – 44 – Good recovery going for breakfast at home then the Y for lifting/legs… maybe diner after.

Walk to 6-9 for trolley. Cold & sunny.

YMCA work.. heavy Legs day.
Deadlift sumos: 135, 225, 275, 315, 335 & 345. Multiple reps, no wraps up to 315 lbs, then singles with wraps.


  • Barbell shrugs – 225, 275, 315 Holds 345?

    So I’m still not up to 365 yet, good day or bad day. 

    Leg press, started 180 lbs, bottomed out and worked to 490 lbs. No knee ache/pressure. 

    Lunges 25 lbs plates 4 sets, 16, then 10s total. 

    60 minutes and done. 

    BCAA’s & BY. Handful of T-mix. 

    Walk to Aquarius Diner, the usual. 

    New crock pot goodies, rode home. 

    Back to YMCA for Functional Fitness. 

    Round II: [N-F]

     Good class, energetic, decent participation (on my part) Not too much. Rode home. Cold!

    Apple

    Home: 2x tea, finish up chores, lamb stew in the pot.


G’night.





Summary – 1-19-16: AMX, HIIT#7 at Broad street Y, CSX & Aqua Box at Temple and early to bed.



11916 – [Tuesday #216] –  Aquarius… I think Capricorn is the shortest constellation in the zodiac. Wake 0400. Temp says 16 degrees. I didn’t notice in here. Pretty good.

AMX Abs, hips, twists, ab wheel, 1 x 10 will have to extend reps and sets then make it harder. Bod feels good from yesterday.

Tea – waited 24 hours no result from sea salt purge [SSP], not like last time at least… well really no result @ all. Maybe it was unneeded. No gainer and protein after gym yesterday. TUGX today and check out Broad street Y after work. It’s an HIIT day, if I can pull it off.

Round I: [T-F] –
Weigh in – Fat is up 1% (see chart) and I’m pissed! But these are still good numbers, just not what I want.

Bkft: Lamb soup. It’s okay, I’ve made better, thicker. I skipped potatoes this time.

Gig: T-mix – more habit that hunger.

Yogurt.
Round II: [SS] – SSP kicked in??
Round III: [N]
Round IV: [ L] –
Lunch – Park’s 75% Turkey salad, tomatoes, avos and greens.
Took some eval shots during the blizzard. Getting Close 1-24-16
Round V: [L] –
Yogurt.

Broad street YMCA – HIIT#7 – very strong and fast, Max HR 163, max sprint 8.6 mph. Small tightness in the chest, 2 – 3 on a scale of 1 – 10.  1 round of handstand pushups (3) and pull ups 7.  BCAA’s & BY.
Tea @ 7-11, then CSX. Good session. 50% participation from me, and coaching. No burn out. Strong throughout.

Aqua Box [6]  energetic and fun.
Apple after. Feeling legs and hips, but energy is still there. Recovery is good. Got to bed around the usual time. Chlorella and some nuts ere and there. Tomorrow I will lift!


Summary – 1-20-16: Bizarro warrior dream, lifting at the Y, AM abs/stretch.

12016 – [Wednesday #217] –  wake 0400. AM stretch. Weigh in, YAY under 180 again.
Bizarro warrior dreams on Hirst street. And fun social dreams w/ Leila… which is probably a lingering guilt about being snowed out. Maybe b/c there’s snow in the forecast.

Bkft – Lamb soup – sore today, but I like it.

Lifting Day – probably front Squats centerpiece, overhead press and leg press. No hurry today. Might get more than 60 minutes.

Dove right into trail mix at the gig.
Gig: Round I: [N] – 1130
Lunch – Park’s 71% no meat.
Round II: [SS] – wonder if this is normal.

To the Y .. Wednesday took it out of me. I think I can get it back.
YMCA – The Work
Front Squats: 100 – 160 felt strong, but didn’t overdo it. Solid at the bottom, but got to keep back straighter and elbows up. Still doing close grip on the bar. Need practice with wider palms-up hold.

Military Press – elbows out. Away from the body makes it tougher, but better. Light weight, maxed 85 lbs.

Leg Press – 490 lbs maxed.
Hand stand pushup 1 x 5
Pull up and hold 3 3-4 seconds at the top.
BCAA’s & BY walk home.
Lots of compliments from members today. Trying to keep my head level. Appreciate them though. It’s validation.
Ate the apple during the walk home. Good brisk. Untimed but I’m used to it. It’s gotten easier. No way I get home faster than 35 minutes unless I trot. It’s very close to two miles.

Home – shake; gainer is done! Protein, p-butter, coconut oil, cayenne.
Meal – lentils and egg. Love this recipe. Some left overs.
No work tomorrow, sickie and delivery. Need to prep. Can probably get HIIT in or walk to the market.

Left side psoas sore, oh, stretch dummy!1 No ritual tonight.


Summary – 1-21-16: More bizarre dreams. 9-10 hrs sleep. Walk to market and back. AMX – New fridge.


12116 – [Thursday #218] –  wake from bizarre dream, 0700 – about 9 – 10 hrs sleep. Sip the H2O. Prep for fridge delivery.

Round I: [M] – Making up for yesterday.
Hips are sore, AMX will address this & abs. First sick day of the year.

AMX – Good, slow work. Not overly energetic, but legs, hips, abs w/ weights on the ankles.
Weigh in – Same as yesterday.
Walk to market and back 1 hour. BCAA’s & BY coconut H2O – YAY!!
½ shot of Sambuca… why the hell did I do that?

Round II: [SS] – might be time for tea, but not hungry. Maybe… yeah.. Yogurt.
Didn’t eat much after the walk. Filled up on tea. New fridge came.  Will have to get used to that.
Did a lot of clean up on the comp and 3 cups of tea.
Chlorella before bed. The walk was my exercise for the day (aside from AMX).
Work, CPR and a peek in on Miracle Child if I get a chance.


Summary – 1-22-16: No CPR, no Miracle Child, but got to the Y for HIIT#8, handstand pushups and a walk home, before the blizzard.


12216 – [Friday #219] –  Wake 0400 (a little earlier actually) AMX, abs, legs, stretches and twists. (12 x with the wheel) planks, etc.

Tea.
Bkft – lentils and egg and cheese.
More Bizarro Dreams, Xave again. Somehow he moved to Villanova w/o letting me know. Some other weird stuff too.

UGH – NO SUPPS before breakfast!!! When will I learn. Took them and stomach hurt.
Weight in – on a plateau, but a good plateau. Of course I want better. I always want better!

Round I: [N] – 

Lunch Park’s 86% - Turkey, mushrooms, avos, greens, peppers. 

Round II: [N] – 

Wondering if I can do HIIT at TU in my quasi-boot sneakers. 

Round III: [X] – 

YMCA – HIIT#8 (I think).  Ave run speed, maybe up to 8 mph. HR 162-163, good run in the sneak-boots. Handstand pushups, trying to get closer to the floor, 3 rounds and pull ups (wide) as well. Feeling the strength… it’s coming.

BCAA’s & BY – walk home.
P-butter, protein & creatine mix.
Tea, Yogurt, tea.
Fill journal – read, need sleep early-ish.

It’s snowing. Biggest of the year, so far.
 





Summary – 1-23-16: Blizzard today. Everything fitness wise involved the snow, walking through and shoveling.


12316 – [Saturday #220] –  Wake 0400. AMX? Ha, looking for gloves.

Weigh in – gained!!! How did this happen after an HIIT and long walk home? Maybe no dinner?  But I wasn’t hungry. Too much time on the comp. Nodded early too. Oh well. Finnish up this week and get the numbers done. My morning exercise was getting to work. Maybe some home work this eve.

Bkft – Lamb soup.

Round I: [T-F]  - Hike to El – go to work.
Round II: [N] – Gig
Home, good leg workout through the snow. Shovel, PMX – steps, need better shovels.
Pro-cr-p-butter-cayenne shake, BCAA’s & BY.
Call it a day.

END OF PART I



 

This chart tracks my weekly "won-loss" or gain weight - lost weight record. Black bar = pounds gained, Green = wight lost. Beginning from June 2014. I update this weekly as a way of learning how much gross weight I gain annually. 






This week illustrates how natural factors (I wanted to say disasters ) can affect the digits. Sunday started off with a good drop after the blizzard the day before. Monday – Thursday I got to the gym, but didn’t get the usual walk home. Regardless weight held steady through the week. I decided to issue a Code Yellow on Tuesday due to a small increase in fat weight, because I could see what was coming. Sure enough, I broke the 180 mark on Thursday, which was the last day this week I got to the gym. With snow still on the ground on Friday I worked overtime (16 hours) so no gym Friday or Saturday. Still, we managed to keep the average below 180, but not by much. I knew on Saturday there’d be no workouts over the weekend, due to academic obligations. Tune into the next session to discover what happened. [Dramatic music plays]

Day
Sunday
1-24
Monday
1-25
Tuesday
1-26
Wednesday
1-27
Thursday
1-28
Friday
1-29
Saturday
1-30
Ave.
Weight
178.2
179.2
179.2
179.2
180.4
180.4
180.4
179.6
Body Fat %
14.9
15.1
15.2
15.2
15.3
15.3
15.3
15.2
BF wt.
26.55
27.06
27.24
27.24
27.6
27.6
27.6
27.6
H2O %
62.2
62.1
62
62
62
62
62
62
H2O wt
110.84
111.28
111.1
111.1
111.85
111.85
111.85
111.35
Muscle mass %
44.2
44.1
44
44
44
44
44
44
Muscle wt.
78.76
79.03
78.85
78.85
79.38
79.38
79.38
79.02
MM:BF
ratio
2.97
2.92
2.89
2.89
2.88
2.88
2.88
2.86




Summary – 1-24-16: Snow storm day two – shoveling and a lot of indoor exercise and stretching.

12416 – [Sunday #221] – wake 0430-ish after about 10 hours of sleep. Nothing else to do last night but nod.

Not sure whether it was boredom or I was actually tired. I felt sleepy so I went to sleep. Am activity pumping iron catching up on chores.

Round I: [T – F] –
Almonds and tea. At some point I’ll hop in the shower and weigh in.
Tea –
Good numbers again. Dropped to the best. 14 hour fast, 10 hrs sleep. So skewed – but the info of how to get here is available. Now if I can figure out how to stay  here.

Bkft – Lamb soup, tea.

Outside shoveling an hour maybe. It’s nice out. Doesn’t feel like 27 degrees, I’, hyped up though. Protein, creatine, p-butter, shake after the snow. Black cherry juice too, start adding this, maybe eggs too… now that I’m out of gainer.

Round II: [N] –
Meal – t-burger and egg, restless and stir crazy. Some abs work – wheels and sideways w/ weights rolling.

More shoveling.
Yogurt, low game work, stretch, pix,
More tea.


Summary – 1-25-16: AM Stretch, the gig, lifting at the Y. Small FF Class.

12516 – [Monday #222] –  wake 0648 – slept through the 0535 chimes.
Round I: [N] -
AMX stretch, hips abs, bridge ups, actually hit it. I think I got a solid hour in. various types of planks. If I get to the Y before class – Romanians and shrugs, leg press as usual. Lunges maybe.

Weigh in – pretty good [see chart] – not bad through snowy weekend. Too close to 180 though. Got GX the next two days. Should help.

Bkft – lentils & salmon. Feeling hyped. Did some p/u burpees.
P-butter, cinnamon and honey. To the Y.

YMCA – The work
Romanians, steps 135, 225 x 5 reps, 315 x 2-2-1.

Shrugs – 225, 275, 325 2x pulled up 275.
Leg press worked up to 540 – 590 lbs. Practiced side kick press, no wt. 10 each side.
Hand stands
Db shrugs 60s.
Smith bench press up to 185 still the smith.
Squatting cable crosses 3 sets.
Inner reverse pull ups 2 sets. Still want to go easy here.
Snin flex 60 7 65 lbs, plus sit ups while feet are flexed.
About 90 minutes. Time Killers.

Functional fitness – small class, hig participation from me. I was beat too.
BCAAs after the work. Some t-mix too.
Rode home.  Shake, forgot the egg. Added molasses though. Got to use that up this year.
Cup of tea, didn’t eat. Maybe should have. Chlorella.
Got to figure out tomorrow.
2 hrs between work & sessions. It’s an HIIT day if I get to it.
Journaled when I got home. Expect 7 hrs tonight. Got a nod before the Y, too.


Summary – 1-26-16: temple Tuesday.. elliptical workout,  energetic CSX and aqua box was full too.

12616 – [Tuesday #223] –  eyes opened and checked 0310… no need to get up, so I tried to meditate, to manifest a real person out of “dust” so to speak. My powers of concentration are wanting. Need more practice.

Anyway, up at 0400, AMX stretch and such, not much else. This was enough. Flexibility is increasing slowly.
Tea and weigh in – yellow alert issued. I must eat after the protein shake on Mondays and Tuesdays, even just a yogurt, which I forget I have sometimes.

Bkft – lentils, egg & cheese. To work.

I’m due for a battle royal. Might need an SSP this week.
Round II: [S-FK]

Claw hand, left – couldn’t figure this out. It lasted quite a while too. Took heart rate 69 bpm. No tightness up the arm. Could be from the exercise or nerve blockage.

Lunch, Park’s 75% turkey, white meat.
Round III: [L]
Round IV: [N]

Gonna give Temple a shot @ HIIT today. This may be #9.. will adjust if necessary. Almost to my goal. Keep going. I think it’s working. Might hit elevation after #11 (or steady state).

HIIT didn’t happen. It was elliptical day instead. Forward-backward protocol (5 minutes each way) 30 minutes total. 5 minute cool down.

Class next, tea. Not sure if I’m hungry or not. Got bananas in case. BCAA’s & BY.

Good class, high participation. High energy. Banana between sessions.  Maybe add the other to my shake. I’m thinking early to bed.
Aqua Box was fun too.
Home – lentils (left over) Can of tuna, tea, pistachios.
Chlorella –a few words here. A few thoughts about Isabella, and how I miss gazing into her eyes.
And… to bed.
More subliminal Kybalion tonight.


Summary – 1-27-16: Stazjee Day!!! YMCA lift day. Still too icy to walk home. Noting the fat weight rises slightly every day I don’t walk



12716 – [Wednesday #224] –   ­­HAPPY Birthday Stazja.

SORE! Am stretch.
She's the reason I started training... When she was 9
Bkft: Lamb soup.
Wake 0400 – normal protocol.
Gig – Round I: [N] –
Round II: [N] –
Lunch – Park’s 89% - Turkey salad, dark meat.
Round II: [L] –
Lift day at the Y… back squats & upper-upper.

YMCA – The Work
Main event – Deep back squats – started light 5 reps; Maxed @ 205, slow, deep, hold down and push/stand.

Military press – felt stronger. Worked to 95 lbs. started 70 lbs. 5 reps (3 @ 95 lbs)
Sidekicks on the slide 10 each. No weight.
Standing snatch – worked up to 125 – 130. It was just under 135 getting stronger.
Cable overhead pull (on row) light weight. Max 3 bricks. Get stronger here.
Decline db press 40s 3 x 5 – ish.
Db curls 8 total; 35 lbs.
Seated (cable) leg press and calf presses.

Done – about 80 minutes.
Glad I came. BCAA’s & BY.
Rode hole. Too icy to walk.
Home, shake, tea.



Summary – 1-28-16: Measuring Day. Eeeked under 90 cm around the hips. Solar plexus is down, body is getting tighter.


12816 – [Thursday #225] –  Measuring Day:
Good sleep. Top: 96 cm – Mid: 89 cm – Bot; 93 cm – Und; - 95 cm
Weigh in 180.4 – 15.3 – 62 – 44…  Yellow
Woke with the alarm, sleep and sore. AMX stretch & twist, run in place, jump, hips, but slow today.

Round I: [N] –
Bkft lentil, egg 7 cheese (I’m sure I had tea).
Round II: [N] – gig
HIIT Today at the Y #9.. I think. Elevate or steady state after #10. I need to be able to run/jog 30 minutes straight HIIT may have helped here.
Round III: [N] –
Lunch Park’s 85% turkey salad, broc, cauli, egg.
Round IV: [LX] - ?
Round V: [X] – to the Y.

YMCA – HIIT #9 Finally: Max mph 9; max HR 162 – better breath.
Handstands, strength weak, going for ROM instead of reps. Balance is stronger. Dips, pull ups are strong, wide 7s with a set with holds.

Leg press weak, 2 sets, 6 plates max (360 lbs)
Leg curls
75 – 80 minutes. Good work, BCAA’s & BY.. still too icy to walk.
Rode home. Shake, tea.

 



Summary – 1-30-16: Overtime, then go home sleep and decompress.

13016 – [Saturday #227] –    OT at the Gig, breakfast – midtown II veggie omelet and hash browns, just a bit. Big omelet too, peppers, shrooms, swiss.

Round I [N] –
Lunch – Park’s 85% salmon salad,
Yogurt
Home – tea.
Restocked snacks.
Round II: [BFT] –
Late weigh in  - same. Some movement work
AM will add king fu & reiki.
Bed early, no ritual, no dinner.

End of Session 16

No comments:

Post a Comment