Monday, October 12, 2015

Session VIII 92715 - 101015


Survival Protocol
Chapter II: Autumn 92715 - 121915

Session VIII 92715 - 101015 


Welcome to Fall, of as I like to call her, Autumn. Usually I like to set up my theme for the Season at the beginning but for some reason I didn’t get to it this time. Maybe I didn’t know exactly what the theme (or my goal for that matter) was going to be.  Throughout the daily updates I’ve been expressing my goals – sometimes, I have to admit I don’t know what my goals are, I just let the mind/body combo figure it out and I just go along for the ride.

For the most part my goals haven’t changed; burn more fat, build more muscle. Achieve a muscle mass to fat ratio of 3:1. There’s evidence that the combination of lifting heavy weights and walking for 30 minutes or more will help me achieve this goal. And speaking of goals, the running 30 out of 90 days… I’ve had to put that on the back burner. It’s not that I don’t like running, even though I kind of don’t… it turns out that I’d rather lift weights than run. I could probably do both, but not well, plus the 8 hours of “working” gets in the way. I might be able to run and lift if I didn’t have the gig. We may soon see.

Okay, so that went off topic a little bit – but that’s okay.

Last Chapter and into this one I completed 30 days of doing 30 burpees. I finally did 30 in a row on the 30th day. I’d gotten used to breaking them up into sets – one day I even did 3 sets of 15.. I guess that’s when my mind told the body we could do 30 straight. Burpees take a lot out of me. It’s not something I’d want to do for more than 30 days straight. I may come back to them, however this Chapter I started a new 30 day thing; basic calisthenics with a 20 lb. weight vest (you’ll see the pic).

In the lifting arena I’ve found myself working more on the upper-upper body… that which is above the chest.. or let’s say nipple line. I’m surprised (I must have forgotten) how quickly and dynamically these muscles respond. Psychologically I may have been a bit timid about attacking this region because of my shoulder injuries. I’m also surprised at how relatively little weight I need to develop these muscles. In some ways I still have that young boy (ego) ideology that I have to lift super heavy to get results. Mind maturity and muscle maturity… it’s a beautiful combo.

So – the theme, strategy and goal for this Chapter… lift heavy. Focus on upper-upper body, but don’t neglect the legs. More front squats and combination exercises for the lower region. Probably not as many leg presses – I’ve pretty much maxed what I am able to do at the Y. More and heavier back work also, which falls right into line with the rest of the orchestra… and walk.

Finally – since the beginning of October I’ve felt energized. It may be too early to brag but, this past week especially I’ve been up strong at the alarm… no snoozes. Hopefully this will continue. Okay – rant completed, I suppose. Time to get on with Chapter Two: Autumn.




Looks like all the numbers are up this week, but nothing devastating. No red zones. I don’t feel very analytical about this week, but I do feel that Autumn is going to be better than the summer when it comes to building muscle and shredding fat. I’ve learned a few things, observed a few and discovered a few more. Now, if I can implement them, my predictions for Fall may come true and my goal to stay lean and get strong during the Winter will be attained.

Day
Sunday
9-27
Monday
9-28
Tuesday
9-29
Wednesday
9-30
Thursday
10-1
Friday
10-2
Saturday
10-3
Ave.
Weight
184.6
184.6
184.6
183
183
184.8
182.6
183.8
Body Fat %
17
16.7
16.4
16.2
16.4
16.8
16
16.5
BF wt.
31.38
30.83
30.27
29.65
30
31
29.22
30.32
H2O %
60.7
60.9
61.4
61.3
61.1
60.9
61.4
61.1
H2O wt
112.05
112.42
113.34
112.18
111.81
112.54
112.11
112.3
Muscle mass %
43.1
43.3
43.4
43.5
43.4
43.2
43.6
43.3
Muscle wt.
79.56
79.93
80.12
79.61
79.42
79.83
79.61
79.58
MM:BF
ratio
2.54
2.59
2.65
2.69
2.65
2.57
2.73
2.62


Summary 9-27-15: First day of the Fall Chapter (2). Last day of Pope-stock and the 12 hour shift. 30 burpees (3 x 10). Not much to this day. Getting antsy not being able to work out as usual. Level 3


92715 [Sunday #101] – wake 0300 – 30 burpees (3 x 10). Foot isn’t that bad. Coming back strong. Forgot to ice because it didn’t hurt.  Just getting ish done today. Last day of Pope-watch… when I get on the bus this morning I’ll feel like I’m done.

Walk to 6-9 for bus. First day of new chapter – I should say something. Recap the last chapter at least.

Bkft – turkey soup.

Last day of Pope detail, snacked a lot – 2x tea and 2 more before bed. Dinner was Chinese broccoli, squash and shrooms and cheese.

Sleepy at 2100 and not fighting it. Glad this weekend’s over. It was trying or difficult – just a lot of time at the gig. I was required to be there and so I was.


Summary 9-28-15: Back to normal… kind of. Decided I can do more than 30 burpees and more than 2 sets. Got back to the Y for some exotic lifting and Functional Fitness. Level (4). Good day.


92815 [Monday #102] – wake up soon after the 0400 alarm. Round I [N] … Get to the AMX burpees (3 x 12) first day doing more than 30 – I’ll take the just one more approach, even if it’s 2 or 3 more. Still need to get 30 straight and strong. Twists, stretches and reverse crunches as well.

The numbers are moving back… getting over the no-workout weekend.

Bkft – turkey soup. Time to make more. Pretty good up the El steps after two days of not doing it or much of anything.

Gig – Round II: [N] – Regular day and it feels very much like the day after. More normal. Got YGX after, so I’ll get to lift a bit – probably vanity, aerobics then walk home. It will give me an opportunity to double-check the walking strategy.

Round III: [M] -
Lunch – Chinatown…. My usual spot wasn’t open. Chicken, zucchini, mushrooms w/ ginger. It was really like two meals so I split it up.

Round IV: [M] – I should probably work on the left side for the bench press, over head squats and upper – save heavy legs for Tues or Weds.


YMCA – The exotic: different types of upper body work to ease me back into the routine.

1 arm chest press dbs, of course. Plus Bent bench fly super set.


35 lbs x 15 reps
40 lbs x 12 reps – 2 sets
45 lbs x 10 reps
50 lbs. 8 + 10 -

Bent flies: 25 lbs dbs.
4 x 15 easy work. Bent elbows so stick with this until I can straighten the arms more.

What I learned from the one arm press is the low back postural muscles kick in to balance me on the bench. Feels like the left side works when I lift with the right arm (makes sense) and vice versa.

Shoulder Sledge hammers – 25 lbs x 20 (total) then 30 lbs 3 x 10 (total). Stick with the 30s and polish up the movements.

Wrist curls: (have become a regular part of the daily workout)
Bar (50 lbs) x 40;
60 lbs X 20 + 12 + 10 – Properly fatigued.

That was pretty much it for the weights. Pre-stack at work – then some wide pull ups. They feel stronger. Then I tried a whacky pistol supported with a body bar, and some highlanders (before class).

Then functional fitness – low participation on my part. BCAA’s after class.
Rain washed out my walk home.


Protein/gainer shake at home and laundry… a must! And clean room. I’m a child again, again. Maybe dinner or not. Might get to bed early. Tea, chlorella and ACV are all question marks. Avocados might be ready tomorrow & seaweed before class & apple afterwards.

Had tea, went to bed early.


Summary: 9-29-15 – Off day. 39 burpees. Lifting at the Y and more recovery.

92915 [Tuesday #103] – well, I’m finally out of bed. Between exhaustion, the weather and subliminal Spanish lessons it was an epic battle. I’d get up, go back again and again. By 0700 I’d won.

Round I: [RMP] – I’m also sore and facing the AMX and at least 30 burpees. The one-armed db press activated the lower erector spinae muscles – or something and they need to be stretched. Got TUGX – CSX this afternoon and Aqua and lifting at the Y, but I don’t think I’ll go heavy. Still sleepy, but the activity will bring me around.

39 burpees. Pretty good (3 x 13) and tea. Numbers are coming back [see chart]. Should be able to get back to the 15s and get off this 185 plateau. Y this morning or eraly noon – not sure what I’ll do; maybe chest, upper back and some more exotic – out of the ordinary stuff I generally avoid. Guessing I’ll eat out after the Y and hit Temple for the double.

Bkft – guac, baby arugula and cheese …
Chores –
Meal – Yogurt & blueberries and out to the Y.


YMCA – (Round II: [S/F]): Pre-supps. Today’s protocol, wasn’t pre-planned, more upper body, wrist curls/forearm work seems to be daily. I settled on “reverse” day and went from there.

Reverse grip bent barbell row:
140 x 13; 150 x 10; 160 x 8 – this was heavy and not the best form. I should lower the weight, bend more and increase the ROM.

Reverse bench Press:
70 x 15; 100 x 10; 120 x 6 + 3* + 7 + F
*set 2 was a bad grip. This was hella heavy. Set 4 didn’t even happen because I couldn’t get the off the rack. Ha ha.. Fail!

Incline dumbbell press, up high –
30 lbs 4 x 15 ……… short and sweet.

Triceps kick backs 30 lbs 10 + 12 + 15 + 16 each. Funny how quickly it comes back. Muscle memory.

Seated incline curls (alternate) – 10 + 12 + 16 (total, so stay here b/c I didn’t even do a set of 10 each.)

Other stuff that happened between sets:  wrist/forearm work with plates. Reverse EZ curls from bar to 40 lbs on the bar. Usually 15 to 8 reps. Front raises with 25 lb plate 8 – 10 reps. This is actually tough.

I feel that my upper-upper muscles are tender and weak and fatigue quickly and too easily. Part of my quest is to remedy this. I might grow a stronger body on the way. I should have at least one up-up exercise every workout, even on legs day.

Post –protein & BCAA’s


Walk got rained out again.
Meal, sausage, 2 eggs and tomatoes & tea at Aquarius Diner, very much in the window.

Headed to Temple – got snacks – maybe grab some bananas. I’ve fueled up a lot today. Mostly good stuff.

Round III: [N] then CSX.

Strong & fun @ CSX… was strong into Aqua Box too and lively. Banana between sessions.
Trail mix on the way home.
Humid – kitchen light doesn’t work. Time for a new switch.
Tea
Strawberries, I think, before bed.
No need for another shake.
Lil “Chunky” is getting thick again… or maybe just NOT getting thin. I won’t be starving though.

Strawberries & yogurt. I think I can do the ritual tonight. 


Summary: 9-30-15 – Massage day. Another day off. Aside from the morning work, I took a break and a couple of 1 mile walks… and housework. I think that burns a calorie or two.

93015 [Wednesday #104] – Woke up lazy, hazy, humid and sore… in a good way. Typical Wednesday. An hour or 90 minutes and no AMX yet. Tea though… round I: [N] – AMX is next.

Bizarro dream that had me walking through a mall and eventually to a donut shop – where the donuts were expensive, I couldn’t make out the flavors and the woman gave me the wrong change. More in change than I paid her… and she put the money in her pocket. Seemed shady, but I went along with it.

Kept seeing Izzi in my mind too… whenever I closed my eyes.

Today AMX was mainly burpees 45 (3 x 15) this is the way to do it I think… but I feel no need to do 50 or 60 tomorrow. Still need to knock out 30 straight and walk away tall. Also cat/cow run in place, jump rope and stretch.
Today's ridiculous selfie 9-30-15

Massage day.. oh yeah.. ridiculous selfies too. Eat and go… need stuff for this week’s soup and weigh in.

183 – 16.2 – 61.3 – 43.5 better quick recovery. Aquarius breakfast doesn’t seem to do any harm.
Pkwy walk 1 mile. Massage next.
Excellent massage session – No pain, no cramps, no spasms. Banana bread dessert after (ate too much). Good but rich. Pkwy walk back 2 miles walking today.

Iced calves at home and strawberry yogurt bowl… half. Wasn’t as hungry as I thought. Mostly chillin’ around la casa hoy.

Home –work is an option for later this eve or core work or stretch… or rest. Wide open. I want to dead lift tomorrow and legs… ease back into it.

Keanne (MT) says I’m building muscle and have trigger points in back and calves. I feel the back. Thinking Thursday and Sunday for heavy days.

Round II: {NM] – tea.

Getting chores done – no work out.. yet. Still holding out but it’s getting late.

Meal from earlier: T-burger, eggs, veggies. Feeling the weather. Hurricane Joaquin is near by, so wet, breezy, humid, draggin’ my energy. Diggin’ the grooves in my grotto though and sorting out clothes.

At some point I went to bed. Probably should not talk with Lil Italy (and her angst) before I sleep. Ciao.

OCTOBER  


Summary 10-1-15: Hello October.. 32 burpess and a 370 lb deadlift. Not a record, but that’s where I was just before the back injury. Generally it was a good, yet dreary cold day. Level (3).

100115 [Thursday #105] – Hello October. Woke with the alarm. AMX – 32 burpees (2 x 16) a little slack compared to yesterday. (I have to keep in mind that fitness progress is NOT a straight line.) Bridges, toe-touch, warm up, esp with upper-upper.

Numbers are moving away from where I want them. It was a break day yesterday. Weight held, maybe because of the two mile walks.

ACV before tea and breakfast, fruit bowl, banana, berries and walnuts. Maybe a ‘normal’ day today. First day back to work since the Papal visit.

Round I: [T] –

Lunch – Park’s 99%. Welcome back, first in a week. Chicken salmon, toms, avos, slaw, cabbage, greens.

For upper-upper strength and development I will have to start inversion/handstand pushups or pulses of decline pushups. Got to do it!  

Today’s workout – Main event.. Dead Lifts… not going for a records, but I might feel strong by then (I don’t feel strong now). Maybe more reps. Other leg work – lunges or bench squats. Wrist curls and upper-upper. I’ll figure it out. I should get back to the options.

Round III: [MD] –


YMCA – pre-supps and feeling like I didn’t eat enough – I figure the Bod will have to eat the fat for fuel.

Dead Lifts – not feeling strong
Weight
Reps
Comments
250
6
Reverse grip (right palm up) on everything under 300
270
5
Slow climb – no wraps
280
3
Long breaks…
300
2
Back to my stronger grip two good reps.
320
1
Focused on form.
340
1
Slow climb – long breaks
360
1
Power round was tough, but no heavy breathing.
370
1
Didn’t expect this, but went for it. A little bit of showing off too. I could literally see my face turn red.

On with the rest of the show…

Shrugs (BB) and shin flex super sets.

Shrugs
Shin Flex 70 lbs
140 x 15
2 x 30
190 x 10
2 x 20
200 x 10+6*+5

*Grip going, both palms down.






Single arm db bench press – for balance. Legs on bench after the first set.


35 lbs. x 15 each.
40 lbs x 12 + 15 – feet up didn’t work so well (right arm) the first time.
45 lbs. x 10 – feet up, balance kicked in, but I can feel that I need more. I think this will help t he balance/postural muscles develop.


Plus.. calf raises, on the smith. 180 on the bar.
(15 + 20 + 25 + 30) different foot angles.

Reverse grip EZ curls – 20 lbs (on the bar) x 15; 30 +bar 2 x 10 + 8 more. No thumbs.

Oly Bar high row. Up top

Bare bar x 10
60 lbs x 10 – to the nose
65 x 10
70 x 10 – Maybe add more weight of better pulls.

Inverted pushup (knees on bench) 2 x 15

Call it a day. Did more than I expected. Low back, slight soreness. Post protein & BCAA’s – chips and seaweed. Rode home. Rain again.


Home, tea, guac and arugula. Maybe more later. Peanut butter scoops. No stew yet.
ACV – chlorella, before bed.


Summary 9-2-15: weather made it a low motivation day – opted out of the Y, but got some good Home Work done.


100215 [Friday #106] – Double snooze – cool and rainy and not very motivated – 30 (3 x 10) burpees – just because I had to. Low left back and left shoulder sore. Toe touch, stretch – that kind of stuff.. DONE!

Weigh in – going away from my goal. It may be the standard adaptation.
Woke in the middle of sleep.. first time in a long while. That was different and worth noting.

Bkft – lentils, salmon and arugula. Decent mix.
Round I: [T] –

Played with the balance/ski-poles last night. They got slippery, I could hardly grip them. The grip was weaker after the DL no doubt.

No vitamins today. I think more habit than need. (Still weeding them out). My mind might tell me I’m missing them, but the universe caused  me to leave without them today. I can use the break.

Lunch Park’s 89% -

Round II – [N] –

Opted out of the Y today. Pouring rain, cold and windy. I came straight home. Decided on Home Work. Training @ La Casa is very different, more casual, no time limit, more experimental and lighter weights too. Sometimes intensity is greater… not today.

Home Work –

Lunges – 10 lbs dbs, bare feet, slow and steady. 4 x 20, easy enough, but still felt it. Trick is not to add weight too quickly.

(Sipping tea between sets)

Front Shoulder raises 25lb plate & bar (something I put together) in horseback stance: 2 x 6; 2 x 8. Good posture too.

Bent shoulder raises 5 lbs x 15; 8 lbs x 15; 10 lbs x 15; 12 lbs x 15.

Need neck work, w/o wt.

Biceps curls – 25 plate/bar 3 x 15, 1 x 20.
Horseback triceps extension 15 reps – Triceps extensions on knees 3 x 15 (same weight)

Front raises – 12 lbs x 30T; 20s x 10 +12 + 16.
Plus bent shrugs 12 lbs x 15; 20 lbs x 15 + 2 x 20. Shrug/ pull center of back.

Spring bar bends – short squeeze up and down-
Dn=80; Up=25 (tougher, inside elbows); Dn = 60; Up = 40 reps.

Pretty good for the chest.

Reverse Curls 25 lb pl/bar 2 x 12 +15 + 16, no thumb grip.


Shoulder raise from the floor:
8 lbs x 20T; 10 lbs x 20T –

Reverse db skullies 8s, 10s maybe 12s… it got experimental here and after.

Eventually finished up.
Meal – lentils (from breakfast) & guac.
BCAA’s – thinking about a shake, but not really feeling it. And cup of tea… of course
Should make stew tonight.
Maybe…
Kind of sleepy – I blame the weather. Nap then stew? Y tomorrow?

I hear there’s a cold going around. Colleagues at the gig are coughing, sniffling, sneezing. I don’t get sick!! Keeping the immune system strong. Popped 2k mg of vitamin C as a boost. The spectrum is clear and has been more abundant than usual. Good hydration. No aches, pains, sore throat, or any of the warning signs, (sore upper teeth) – but I’m on guard with the vitamins and spices and probably the stew. Ox feet, I think, this week.

Peanut butter and chlorella and bed. G’nite. Good sleepin’. 


Summary 10-3-15: Happy Birthday Izzi. Day 1 of Staycation. Made it to the Y, 30 burpees straight through, and a little dancing in the night time.



100315 [Saturday #107] – Long sleep with a few interruptions.
Round I [N] – GS
AMX 30 burpees straight through, without collapsing. Got in some warm ups before and stretching after.

Weigh in – better numbers.

Bkft – Ox stew, ok, broth is thick and spicy. Gets you in the back of the throat. Maybe burn some throat fat, and opens the nose. Cold and wet again, but I think I can hit the Y.
Front squats, snatches and power shoulder press on my mind as the main events. Maybe bb bench press. Body is sore as usual, lower ribs, left side, feels like muscle soreness.

Round II – [NF] How did that happen?
Round III – [SF] – Cleaning up the place I think.


YMCA – pre-supps… feeling weak and kind of funny dehydration or battling an invader? The latter is a possibility given the folk around me. So here goes…

Front squats. Thought I’d start with 140, but nope…

LBS.
Reps
Comments
120
2 x 5
Warm ups, no pain.
125
2 x 5
More warm ups, slow progress
130
3
Strength kicking in
140
3

150
3
Ready for action
160
2
Power zone
170
1

180
1
New high, but not much of a brag

Power Press (standing)

LBS.
Reps
Comments
70
10
Warm up
80
5

100
3
Challenging
110
2 x 2
Heavy, felt it, low back, laterals.

Snatch (from the knees to the chest)

LBS
Reps
Comments
70
6

100
5

110
5

120
3 + 4


Well done. Made a surprise comeback after a slow start. 75 minutes. Post protein and BCAAs.



Quick Open studio visit to see Tim.
Meal Broad St. Diner, sausage,  egg, tomatoes, tea. Meal of champions. Same meal at Aquarius is $2.00 less. Tea is included, might be the over head.

Round IV: [N] – Late.

Dancing and a Negra Modela at Cuba Libre.
ACV & Chlorella before bed @ 0100. Late night, but worth it.

End of Part One of Session VIII



This week’s numbers are unremarkable, however moving in the “right” direction, that being a good thing for me. It was a good week for the gym and for walking. The routine has been haphazard yet focused on the upper-upper body with less emphasis on ultra heavy lifting… thinking I can save that for every 10 days or so. I started a new AM exercise routine this week, which will no doubt prompt the body to adapt in positive ways. I may need to eat more food to support this, or the body may be forced to burn more fat for fuel. This is how it’s supposed to work… so let’s see. Looking at my full body and not just the belly, I think I can see 15 pounds that need to come off, just above the belt line, the legs look pretty sharp. I don’t worry as much about burning fat from those limbs as much as building muscle. So, here we are, Part 2 of Session VIII. Weight chart below, details and pictures to follow.
 

Day
Sunday
10-4
Monday
10-5
Tuesday
10-6
Wednesday
10-7
Thursday
10-8
Friday
10-9
Saturday
10-10
Ave.
Weight
182.4
183.4
181.4
181.4
183.4
183.4
183.4
182.7
Body Fat %
16.2
16.3
15.7
16.3
16.2
16.2
16.4
16.2
BF wt.
29.55
29.89
28.48
29.57
29.71
29.71
30.1
29.6
H2O %
61.3
61.3
61.7
61.2
61.3
61.3
61.1
61.3
H2O wt
111.81
112.42
111.92
111
112.42
112.42
112.05
112
Muscle mass %
43.5
43.5
43.8
43.5
43.5
43.5
43.4
43.5
Muscle wt.
79.34
79.78
79.45
78.91
79.78
79.78
79.6
79.47
MM:BF
ratio
2.69
2.67
2.79
2.67
2.69
2.69
2.65
2.68





Summary – 10-4-15: Happy Birthday Medusa. No burpees today, finished 30 days yesterday. Pretty much of a break day. Went to the mall, lunch at Ruby Tuesday and some PM Xercise.
Got the ear reopened.


100415 [Sunday #108] – Slept long and late – no matter though. It’s a chill day. Maybe hit the Y, maybe not. Day 30 of 30 burpees so I got to do them, but no rush. (Then I realized that yesterday was day 30… booyah!!)

Bizarro Dream – the room was full of group fitness folk and I couldn’t get the music right. Because I’m listening to down tempo music while I sleep. People were falling asleep in class and I’m ready to give them a free class. Then I give up because I realize it’s a dream. That’s when I got up.

Round I: [N] – Put the tea on.

Yesterday was officially the 30th day of 30 burpees and I don’t feel like doing them today. I can take a break… maybe do them later… start another 30 day thing or whatever. I can walk to the markets and get supplies, sugar, cashews, etc. maybe hit Target for mason jars. Maybe have an “active” day off. I haven’t walked in a while. Walk, ride, explore.
This is my next 30 day fitness "challenge" started Oct 5, 2015

Weigh in – Good, normal.
Breakfast – which is coming at lunch time; Ox soup… won’t be doing Ox very often. I prefer turkey.

Tea and walk to 6-9. Finally out of the house @ 13:21… out just to be out. Might as well run some errands.

Meal Ruby Tuesday salad bar, salmon, zucchini, 2x iced tea. Ok meal

Round II [N] – Target (got mason jars).

Walk from Garret and Avon.. good 30 mins I think. Recovery time. BCAAs.

PMX – some standard exercises with the wt vest o. New for this Session. Experimenting with chain and k-bell for ant delts… kind of nervous about off balance, or new balance weights work. Spider rows, t-plank shoulder press, etc. Shoulders are stronger, but there’s a concern.

Chlorella and ACV before bed.


Summary 10-5-15 – First day of AMX in the weight vest. YMCA max-chest workout, and Functional Fitness after. Powerful day after the break.

100515 [Monday #109] – wake 0730 ish. Third day of staycation. New AMX today… Warm ups.
Then weight vest and gloves. 
Run in Place – 100 – 200 paces
Squats – wide stance, deep as possible
Jump Rope – 50 – 100
Lunges – 20 or more
Pushups – at least 10
Crescent Kicks – inside out.

3 rounds, vest off, and hit the toe touches, cat/cow, butt stretch, seated stretch (lotus), right foot still sore from the turn on Pope weekend.
Tea – feeling pretty good this morning. Hit the Y early, then back again for YGX… not many chores/errands today. Maybe hike to the market.

Interesting to see what the weigh-in is like after that Ruby Tuesday meal. It really wasn’t that big, plus the walk off and last night’s Home Work. Really want to drop under 180 and stay there all winter.. but it will be tough. More walking I think, is the key. (Actually, what I want to drop is fat… down to about 25 lbs of it. Not very worried about the total weight as long as fat content is low. It just seems like I am going to have to drop total weight to kill off this blubber.)

Round I: [NF] –
Weigh in – average numbers [see chart]. Keep it movin.

Round II: [S/F/P] – 20 minute walk to the Y.


YMCA – Chest day on a Monday is a beautiful thing!
Protocol – old school. Keep it light to moderate.

Bench press

Lbs.
Reps
Comments
140
8

145
8
Small increments
150
8

160
8

175
4
Big jump, gets heavy, slightly fatigued
180
4
Good work, no shoulder pain

Static Holds (Bench) – 230 lbs – 10, 15, 20 seconds. Just holding the weight off the rack for an isometric. Got to feel the weight. One day I’ll be pumping this… again.

Decline dumbbell press/fly high. 40 lbs x 15; 45 lbs. 3 x 12 – Good weight.

Incline barbell press

Bar (45 lb)
12
Warm up set.. bring the bar to the collar bone (not on it)
70
10

100
8

110
6

120
4 + 5
Strong and stable today. No shoulder pain.

Peck Deck (Cable)

75
15
High seat: (seat height makes a difference)
90
10
Low
90
11
High
105
8
High
75
10
Low

Seated Chest Press – Low seat, high arms – cable

75 x 10 + 12; 90 x 10; 105 x 8….

Done… about 75 minutes.



25 minute walk and meal 2 AQ Diner – the usual, sausage, eggs and tomatoes and tea.

It’s a very up and energetic day. Been the whizzard of oz for about a week now. Probably some detox going on. Will monitor more closely.
Round III: [N] –

Been runnin’ (not literally) today. About to go back to the Y for Functional Fitness… imagining tomorrow already.

Strong, energetic FF 50% participation (from me) – left standing. Picked up nuts and avos, $$ almonds went up.. WOW!

Walk back from 6-9, lots of walking today. No dinner per se – tea, more than likely and chilling.

ACV & chlorella before bed. Strong day.



Summary 10-6-15 – Bizarro dreams again, AMX in the vest, Temple double with the gymnastics squad. Bizzy day, but lovely out. Nosh with Keanne.


100615 [Tuesday #110] – wake 0730 Last day off… beautiful.

Woke in the night, dehydrated. Right calf tight, near cramp. Something is …. Anyway, got up, got H2O. Thought about staying up. Didn’t know the time. Eventually got back to sleep.

Bizarro Dream about heights and multi-tasking and responsibilities toward other people. Hammock in the sky, basically. Then I had the tough guy dream where I made this guy eat my loafer because he defiantly stepped on it, (in the sand). And I’m not even on roids. Why am I having these dreams? I’m peaceful.

AMX – Done.. 3 rounds in vest and gloves. Warm ups first. The jumping is tough, lunges, squats are strong. I felt energetic doing this despite yesterday’s activities… or maybe because of them. Maybe I’m thinking backwards… the more NRG I put out, the more I get back. Don’t rest until Bod tells me to.

Tea.
Round I: [ND] – eggs and sausage?
Shower, weigh in, breakfast, hike to the market and back. Temple this eve, maybe connect w/ Keanne.

Wt 181.4 … 15.7% …61.7% … 43.8%... great numbers, walking, so if I walk and lift I should affect changes.

Bkft: T-burg, eggs (2) veggies. Hike to market and back. Cut 3 – 5 minutes off the time via the grass and hills… ad less people traffic.

Meal – salmon, lentils, arugula.
Round II: [NF] – felt kind of funny – dehyde or recovery from walk? 20 -30 lbs of groceries… good stuff.

Tea… TUGX today, bananas maybe? & Aqua.

Left knee – had to wear a band at YGX yesterday. May have to today as well. Probably vest weight.

Strong CSX  - crazy aqua box 22 people, women’s gymnastics team… again.

Meal – kale salad, no meat w/ Keanne @ White Dog, nice chat, good friend.

Home & chill… no eve ritual. Did I mention light back work earlier in the day? Just a bit for the up-up.

Wasn’t sleepy, but 2200… time for bed. Back to work tomorrow.


Summary 10-7-15: Back to work. AMX of course and being a friend today. No Y, no classes.

100715 [Wednesday #111] – Up… alarm, no snooze, no mid-sleep wake-ups. I was pretty strong the AM. Could be the weather, activity, days off – a combo. Got the AMX done – 3 rounds, 16 pushups, 20 lunges, figure; stay consistent on the numbers… I don’t have to push this one. When I’m ready, add another round. No stretch after. Took about 30 minutes. BTW – I felt sore while asleep, but pretty good after the AMX (vest & gloves)… tea – of course. Oh, the ACV before the tea.

Weigh in – fat took a big jump, considering activity yesterday. Could be other factors as well.

I should note that the numbers improve with length of sleep which equals extended fast.

Bkft – Ox stew & lentils.
Gig: Round I: [N]
Round II: [SF]
Lunch – Park’s Chicken and steak 76% and the usual. DHEA, carn & Arg supplements.

It’s a big maybe whether I’ll get to the Y today, however park or home are options. I want to do up-up but may opt for something out of the ordinary involving a long chain.

Left claw hand today (cramps)… not much H2O.
Round III: [N] – out errand for Jocko.

Did my good deed for the day. Marched a mile or 2 with the backpack – my 20 lbs-ish running errands…

So get home 2x tea. Chill and think about some upper-upper. Don’t really want to train (hard) just before bed and again when I wake up. So tonight might be a stretch/yoga if anything.

Yogurt & strawberries.

Ended up doing some upper-upper and shoulder work w/ chains and k-bells and dbells, shoulder laterals especially. Can do more tomorrow lower in the back. Protein/gainer shake w/ cayenne is the de facto dinner and post drink. Got BCAAs already. Got about an hour left of eyes open… maybe more. I’ve gotten used to being in bed by 2200.

Belly’s still fat – but maybe when the up-up blows up, belly will look (be) smaller. More muscle up top, more metabolism…





Summary – 10-8-15: Happy Birthday Tony. AMX – pushed a few extra reps here and there. YMCA pull day, upper-upper, walk home and wiped out.

100815 [Thursday #112] – HBD Tone! Wake 0400…

Round I: [N] – Get to work. 3 rounds AMX – stronger, more pushups and few more squats in round one; 5 lbs dbs round three – run & squats. Been feeling more energetic lately, since Oct came. Better weather? Better workouts? Better food, r combos. I hope I can keep this going. I know I’ll have a dip, but not too low and not to long – Tea.

Numbers steady.
Breakfast – arugula, tomatoes, avo salad. Let’s see how this lasts.

Gig: Two rounds [SS] – [S/F]
Lunch – park’s 102% Heavy today.

What’s the y challenge today? Pulls.. deadlifts, rev grip bent row, shrugs, high row, seated db press, maybe some cable pulls?

Round IV: [N] – YMCA


YMCA – Pulling, Shrugging, Rowing. Pre-supps.


Dead lifts, supine grip, both hands:
230 lbs 3 + 4 + 4 + 3 + 3 – weak grip and low energy, strong legs. Need to use wraps for heavy lifts, will work the grip on forearm exercises. Disappointed with this performance.

Barbell Bent row, reverse grip

LBS.
Reps
Comments
Bar (50)
20
Strong warm up, but can start higher
70
16

80
15
(elbows)
100
10

110
10

120
8
Hold close to the body, close grip
130
6
Higher the pull = sore rt elbow.


Stopped just before 140 lbs.

Barbell shrugs


LBS.
Reps
Comments
130
10
Weak today
150
10

170
10

200
8
Next time use wraps.


It’s upper body, not about the grip.

High Row – Barbell 70 lbs x 8; 3 x 10

Hanging shrugs 30 lbs – 2 x 20; 40 lbs (one arm) 2 x 16 balanced from the bench.

Shoulder press (seated) 4 x 8 + db shrugs (seated) 30 lbs
4 x16

Standing row – thighs to chest 70 lbs. 4 x 8 (fatiguing here)

Bench shrug (more of a press) 185  4 x 10.

95 minutes. Done. Post protein & BCAAs.

Walk home, slower than usual. Got home, wiped out. Ox soup, pseudo nap.. tea.
Early nod, no rituals.


Summary – 10-9-15: AMX, YMCA pull work, Dad shows up at the gym, Level 5 – and early to bed.

100915 [Friday #113] – wake 0400 – I think an energy dip may have started yesterday. Not sure I remember going to bed. There were dreams – signs in words, comparisons. I live a whole different life in my bizarre dream world… Pisces!!!

AMX 3 rounds. A bit easier. Pushed a few more squats and pushups in round two. The body will adapt. Upper-upper looks a bit more jacked. Didn’t know it would blow up that fast. Probably because it’s been neglected so long. Sorry team – we’re gonna fix that and not neglect the legs.

Tea after AMX… Happily getting up w/o a snooze. Kind of warm this morning.
Round I: [N] –
Weigh in – same.. cut and paste.
Bkft – salad, arugula, toms, guac.
Blueberries and yogurt.

Gig: Round II & III [N] – Double play. Never really know how to score these.
Round IV: [N] –

YMCA Plan today.
Thrusters, close grip press, front raises plate, upp-upp stuff, flies etc. shin flex.

Lunch Park’s 87% chicken and steak, peppers, slaw, cabbage, greens.
Round V: [L] – somewhat. On Jupiter today. Been here for a while.


YMCA – pre-supps, legs, upper and tris/bis. I could probably do some kind of upper work on a 2-on 1-off schedule, I bet.

Thursters – off the rack: 4 x 8. Got easier on the 3rd set. Also practicing the bar hold. I have no flexibility in the triceps for this.


Close grip Bench press + shin flex super sets.

100 x 15
70 lbs db 2 x 25
120 x 10
1 x 25
130 x 8 … strong today
3 x 25
140 x 6 … failed here last time

150 x 3 + 4 … good idea to stop here.

Left thumb pressure/pain




Getting some definition, but still bulky. I have 15 to drop. 10/9/15




















Bent db flies + front raise (Plate)

40 lbs x 12 + 15,
Then 2 x 16 – something pushed me.
35 lb plate.
6 + 8 + 10 + 12
Seems like I just kept getting stronger.

Wrist curls + sledge shoulders

60 lbs barbell: 2 x 20, 1 x 15, 1 x 20
1. elbows
2. less pain
3. Feelin’ it
4. Pop’s spirit shows up
30 lbs dbs. (total reps)

12 + 14 + 14 + 20.

Shoulders cracka-lackin’
(ha ha)


One arm dumb bench press – 40 lbs: 2 x 10 each; 2 x 12 each.

Dumbbell curls 30 lbs alternating (total count reps)

10 + 12 + 14 + 20 (pop again)

Done 80 minutes. BCAA’s Rode home, surprise rain storm.


Started out with low NRG, but it came back strong at the end.

Home, protein shake/creatine & fruit, no gainer.. and tea.

Early to bed. No ritual.






Summary – 10-10-15: Celebrate Mike’s Birthday, AMX, 33 minute walk. Different diet today. Call it a cheat day.

101015 [Saturday #114] – HBD Brother Maoul. Wake 0400 at alarm. Nodded early, maybe before 2030, up a few times to adjust the music, but right back to sleep. It was a catch up on sleep night… Friday too!.

Round I: [T] – typical morning.

AMX went well, almost 30 minutes. Maybe time to add an extra set. 1st round + 5 lbs dbs, 3rd round +8lbs. Bod is holding up. Not too sore. Mildly sore.

Tea –

Weight’s the same, fat up, H2O and muscle down.
Bkft – Ox soup – second cup of tea, not finished.

Energetic this morning during the walk to the train and up the steps.

Gig: Yogurt and trail mix. I just munch all morning. I think it keeps me from eating late at night.

Left fingers and elbow are sensitive to touch for some reason. Stuff that normally doesn’t hurt, hurts. Could be recovering from all the grip/weight yesterday. Also I feel dry.. which reminds me. Hydrate.

Round II: [N] –
Lunch Park’s 97% seafood, salmon, shrimp and crap.
Mostly chillin’ at the gig.

Walk 33 mins to mom’s through the grass and up and down hills.
Celebrate Mike’s birthday. Fam time, cheat meals; fried fish, mac-n-cheese, green beans and cake. I know I’ll pay, but I can’t be strict all the time. The Bod will bounce back, usually about three days.

Chlorella and ACV before bed. And that’s all …

End of Session 8









 

No comments:

Post a Comment