Monday, September 28, 2015

Session VII 91314 – 92614 –

"The fatties went first..." Zombieland



Survival Protocol
Chapter I: Summer 61915 - 92615 


Session VII   91314 – 92614


Hello… it’s Session 7 calling.

Time is beginning to move faster now. Two weeks… a fortnight in English seems to pass in a snap.

This is the time of year my energy changes. Creativity increases and as summer gives way to Autumn, good things tend to happen, (to, and around me.)

Say Goodbye to Summer: Chillin'
According to my past lifting patterns, I’m right on time in returning to a heavy lifting schedule. I think I will center on deadlifts and bench press and my majors with minors in front loaded squats, back s(or basic) squats, pull ups and incline bench press. I plan to continue the 30 burpees, AMX (morning exercise) until I can jack out 30 straight without getting winded, (of course why would I stop then?0 Progressive pushups (just one more) are on hold at 55 (one set); Seems I can get one set out after doing the burpees… sometimes – and they rip my chest apart.

I’m also going to have to run more if I want to get 30 runs in 90 days. I could maybe run after or before lighter training days.

Autumn is magic and things will work out.

Session 7 closes this chapter, thus Chapter II will start with a recap of Summer with charts, tables and analysis for the nerd in me. And probably pictures for the Narcissist in me and the voyeur in you. 

[Note: I dug up some back shots to add to this entry.]

What else? Whatever … I expect it will come to me as necessary. 


SESSION 7 - PART ONE
 


Any way you look at it these digits have improved. The plateau broke mid-week, my first day off and after two days of cardio classes. Off days I sleep later, which also means extended fast, and longer morning workouts. Speaking of which, the burpees streak continued, which may or may not play a part in the weight drop. I have a feeling that in order for burpees alone to have an effect, I’d have to do maybe 3,000 of them over a period of time, but I’m just guessing. I’m pleased with these digits, but of course I want better. A legit 3:1 ration may not be possible due to the limitations of the scale, I’ll just take as close as I can get. I don’t want to get overly scientific about it. 


Day
Sunday
9-13
Monday
9-14
Tuesday
9-15
Wednesday
9-16
Thursday
9-17
Friday
9-18
Saturday
9-19
Ave.
Weight
184.6
184.6
184.6
182.4
183.4
181.2
182
183.3
Body Fat %
16.3
16.3
16.3
15.9
16.3
15.7
16.1
16.1
BF wt.
30.1
30.1
30.1
29
29.9
28.45
29.3
29.5
H2O %
61.2
61.2
61.2
61.5
61.4
61.7
61.4
61.4
H2O wt
113
113
113
112.2
112.61
111.8
111.75
112.5
Muscle mass %
43.5
43.5
43.5
43.7
43.5
43.8
43.6
43.6
Muscle wt.
80.3
80.3
80.3
79.71
79.78
79.37
79.35
79.9
MM:BF
Ratio
2.67
2.67
2.67
2.75
2.67
2.79
2.71
2.71






Summary 9-13-15 – Session 7 begins inauspiciously. Long day at the gig followed by YMCA. Seems very typical. 30 burpees streak still in effect. A good day over all. Level 5.


91315 [Sunday #87] – double snooze AMX, 30 burpees, 55 pushups, 45 bridges, twists, stretch, 10 pull ups, run in place, shadow box… then tea. These morning excursions aren’t as dynamic as they were in the past with the Eat Sweat workout, but I’m not overly concerned – just enough to mention it, I suppose.
One of my favorite back shots: April 12, 2012

Digits: 184.6 16.3 61.2 43.5 – as usual the scale reads weight gain as fat gain and I’m taking it too seriously and think I’m moving in the “wrong” direction despite gains in strength and muscle tone. Maybe I should shoot the scale.

Round I: – Out. Kind of sore from yesterday. Upper-upper needs improvement and I predict it will improve greatly.

Round II: - The gig. I seemed to have hunger very soon after breakfast. Perhaps I didn’t eat enough.

Round III: - Unusual timing. Time for a strong meal and imagine today’s training. Thrusters to start… lower reps, heavier weight. No need for 15 reps this round. (Maybe I can alternate between weight and reps, but these will have to be done more often.)

Round IV: - Lunch. Let’s see if I can sit among people for a while. Tootsie’s 80%, the usual, chicken, feta, kale, no cabbage today.

Round V: - Extra.


YMCA – Sunday, pre-supps and corn chips. It’s kind of surreal coming to the Y on Sundays.

Thrusters: been a while since I’ve done these, so I went back to bare bar to start:

Bar x 8; 70 x 6; 80 x 5; 90 x 4; 100 x 2 + 2. Repeat, as I get stronger. Need to keep the knees in and the arms out… no contact. I can better at this.


Elevated lunge squats 25s, 4 x 6. Lost some balance and frustrating. Felt the psoas, but no pain.

Barbell jerk – knees to shoulders 120 lbs. 4 x 3. Got to hand it to the kids doing this. Mind the negatives.

Adductors cable 150 lbs. 20 – 15 – 2 x 10. More important to increase the stretch [ROM] than increase the weight. Stay and open.

Leg curls cable: 150 x 8; 165 x 6, 180 x 5, 195 x 3+3. Maybe start higher, but I won’t go much past 195 anytime soon. More control.

Stretch & out in 60 minutes. Post BCAAs.


Restock the cashews and walk from 6-9.

Protein gainer shake w/ egg, cayenne, p-butter.. snackin’ and nappin and psoas stretch.
2x tea.

More body stretching. Left side again (still). Low back – upper glute, so I’m working on lengthening.

I had to lie down for a while after the gym. Longer than I expected… but it is what it is.
Think I guzzled enough H2O… over 60 oz I think.

Nite ritual – ACV, chlorella and that’s a wrap.


Summary: 9-14-15: 30 burpees streak still alive. First day back to the Y for Functional Fitness in 2 weeks – good class. Generally a good day. Got a good upper body/arms workout before class. Nice weather – who could ask for more. Level 3.


91415 [Monday #88] – wake double snooze – AMX – 30 burpees and seated toe touches. The burps were actually stronger. Left is the weak side but doesn’t keep me from them. I was tired this morning. I’m probably going to switch up the plan today at the Y… more light shaping high rep work… save the heavy upper body for a day off… Wednesday more than likely – after the meet with Ty.

Today before YGX.. triceps, biceps, trapz… stuff I didn’t do yesterday. More core stability stuff will have to be done at home.

Numbers, identical. I realize that any weight gain will be attributed/interpreted as fat gain by the scale – so a combo of mirror/pix, fit (clothes) and centimeters will have to guide me. The scale is good for the charts. I should start putting photos next to the charts… hmmm… wonder if I can do that.

Round I: - First thing. Darn forgot to do pull ups.
Bkft; lamb stew, more generous today.

Let’s see – more light upper work today. Trapz (shrugs) – shoulders, triceps, biceps – vanity basically. Oh yeah – forearms. Should be able to get enough down before YGX.

Round II: -
Lunch – Park’s 94% the usual. Split it up. Wasn’t that hungry. I still much on trail mix most of the morning.

Round III: - A sudden wave of tired hit me. Perhaps this is normal. 90 minutes of the gig left. Made it through and off to the Y.


YMCA – The work… Pre-supps

Barbell Shrugs: 135 x 15; 185 x 15; 205 x 15; (going strong even at 200+). 225 x 10; 255 x 6; 275 x 4+2.
Definitely start higher. This was a thinner bar too so probably a better grip. This really surprised me.

Skullies EZ Bar 40 lbs on the bar – 4 x 15 – some hairy moments but pushed it through. I can put 50 lbs on this next time.

Wrist/forearm work – A variety of different forearm curls, reverse ez bar curls and long bar wrist curls.

Bent shrug 1 arm 60 lbs db. 4 x 5 each. This is a short ROM and can probably handle more weight.

Reverse shoulder raises 20 lbs dbs.  3 x 20 w/ seated shoulder lateral raises w/ 10 lb plates. This eventually irritated the left shoulder, but not too bad.

Biceps curls EZ bar 1 set of 8 40 lbs on the bar. I don’t know why I avoid these. Maybe I should cut the weight and increase the reps – growth will bring strength and keep my elbows healthy.



YGX right after… oh a few [4] wide pull ups before the class. 50% participation. I remembered to take is easy (on myself). Got a nice compliment too, (another way to eval my progress). Give thanks.

BCAA’s – snack bar & chips after. Nice chat and mental alignment with Robin, (wavelength).
Home – protein gainer shake, w/ cayenne, egg, creatine and peanuts & blueberries. This, essentially is dinner.

The Bod may be trained not to need dinner – a cup of tea, though. So, the shake some tea and nod.

Level 3 – Good day.

It seems like Bod is responding to the physical stimulus better than it has in many years. Keep burning fat and building muscle.

That is all, sleep well.
Wake strong. Mental toughness.


Summary: 9-15-15: 30 Burpees and measuring day. Maybe going in the right direction but digits are basically flat. Temple Tuesday – both classes went well. Level 5


91515 [Tuesday #89] – Measuring Day – Woke, one snooze.

Round I: - Felt slow and heavy today dreading the burpees… but got them done. 30 toe touches too… and some lower body stretching… mental toughness. I should probably read some of those Sealfit emails. Maybe I could use the inspiration. (Thinking I don’t need it – typical ego.)

Tea & shower – feeling some nice development in the legs, esp the hammies. I need to build these muscles. I am sure they’ll help the ratio… and general performance. No doubt will make the legs harder to lift.

Digits are the same across the board – 3 days in a row.

It’s measuring day and I figure I’ll take care of that at the end of the day.
Bkft – lamb stew

Round II: [N] – wondering – no proper dinner the last two nights (gainer/protein shakes and snacking_ no weight gain. Just noting… not complaining.

Round III: - The gig – A little hefty. Wonder what’s going on. Had a granola bar at the gig that seems to have killed the hunger. Carbs maybe? Let’s see what the next hour brings.

Lunch – Park’s 80% - Chicken & shrimp, cole slaw, cabbage, avocado.

Round IV: [N] –
Round V: - TUGX today. Get psyched!!

TUGX was good… building the regulars and not over doing my part. Aqua Box was also good. A manageable group. Wore me out though. Pre-supps and banana between sessions. No supps after.

Home, tea, cashews & blueberries and measuring day.

Top
Middle
Bottom
Under
Hammies
97 cm
91 cm
95 cm
97 cm
61

Added 1 cm to the legs. No extreme changes.

Made it an early one. Well before 2200. No pre-sleep ritual. Level 5.


Summary 9-16-15; benched 200 lbs today. YAY. Almost as excited as when I benched it the first time, almost 30 years ago! AMX came late today, but the 30 burpees streak is still intact. Frank spotted me on my lift. I need to get a pic of us for posterity.


91615 [Wednesday #90] – Up with the 0535 alarm. Psoas stretch. The Bod is sore from the work. May have over done a few things regarding the left shoulder and may have to return to mid-set therapies.

Round I: [SS]? – immediately – As I figure out the day. I should have a heavy option – maybe I can combine that with core stability. Indeed a heavy day is just one or two heavy moves; Bench press today – I can go lighter after that. It’s still early. AMX and run are also on my mind.

AMX – tea first. Took a while to get started… but 30 burpees (3 x 10) – I’ll do it like this for a while but I still want 30 powerful in a row and be able to walk away. It will take more than 3 weeks I think. Toe touches and cross toe touch, twists and stretches – bridges, table top thrusts. AMX needs to be more about the core, waist and flexibility and maybe some planks and t’s and the occasional pushups sets. More tea.

Numbers…  182.4 – 15.9 – 61.5 – 43.7  Yeah! To bed early with no dinner. Would like this to be the norm. muscle weight still isn’t over 80. More iron pumping I guess.

Bkft – blood omelet. It was good. So here’s the mix: 2 eggs and ½ Korean red pepper, 1/8 - 1/4 tea spoon of cayenne pepper and pink salt. Mix in a blender (I added olive oil, but it’s better to add to the pan so it doesn’t stick.) Mushrooms, scallions & cheese. I didn’t get the presentation quite right, but it was very tasty.

More tea.
Round II: [N] – Out to Media.
Brunch – Koffee Korner media – grilled chicken salad.

Let’s see if I can work out the workout…
Bench press is central; Bent row, normal grip, incline something, either BB or DB – 1 arm row, up row, maybe pull overs and cable work. I’ve got time. Question is, do I have the energy.

Round III: [S-F] What?!


YMCA Option #2 – pre-supps…

Bench press: 140 x 6 (lf shoulder); shoulder therapy b/w sets: 150 x 6: 160 x 6 (shoulder stops hurting); 180 x 3; 190 x 2; 200 x 1 (Frank spotting) Went up fairly easy, but didn’t push it. News of the Day!!

BB Row – to the belly 140 lbs: 15 – 2 x 12 – 15 stay here til I get it to the plexus.

Rev wrist curls EZ bar: bar x 15; 5 lbs x 15; 10 lbs x 15 (left thumb0 15 lbs x 12;

Incline DB press – up high; 30 lbs x 15; 35 lbs x 15; 40 lbs x 15; 45 lbs x 15 – good, maybe 35 – 50 next go.

Oly Bar wrist curls (seated bench) bar x 10; 11 – 10 – 15: Good for now.

Oly Bar hi-row (60 lbs. total): 10 – 12 – 2 x 15… maybe more weight.

Concentration curls – 20 lbs 3 x 10 each; 25 lbs 1 x 12. For some reason I’ve been ignoring my biceps for years.

Done 60 minutes, protein drink* and BCAA’s


Home: Food to Keanne’s – Good walk there from the 42 stop and back (Pkwy walk).
T-mix on the way.

Back Home – lamb stew maybe??

Had a proper lamb stew dinner and started chores – laundry. I’m way behind b/c I’ve been lazy. I was up later that usual and no night ritual.

*first protein (post) drink in several days. Not sure whether it made a difference or not.


Summary 9-17-15: Long sleep and a nice dream (or was it a premonition?) 30 burpees streak still in effect 12-12 and 6… soldier hike to the market for goodies. Mostly a break day, but got some stuff done.


91715 [Thursday #91] – Good long sleep… binaural beats and subliminal Spanish and bizarre dream(s). Delaying the AMX but I know it will happen. Bod won’t allow it not to. Got to conquer the burpees. How long will the streak last?

Morning tea.
Round I: [M] –

It looks like I won’t make my run quota… which would normally give me an excuse to quit… but I’ll get back out there when I can. Lifting is priority. I may not lift today. I want more peanut butter which means hike or bus to the market… hmm.
I've got this 'selfie' thing going. soldier Hike 9-17-15 Philly

If I do get to the Y it should be body weight stuff and maaaaybeee cables. So, thinking about that, (but I’ve got home chores to do.)

The numbers are true to ‘scale” I can almost predict them, weight increases fat% increases. I still don’t buy it.

AMX – 30 burpees, toe touch, twist toe touch, 100 rev crunches went rather easy. Feel like that area is loosening up.

Late bkft – lamb stew, got chores done, mostly dishes and laundry.

I should get out but don’t want to go through the ritual. I may just relax. Looks like no Y today, but I have stuff at home and the run option is still here. But, chill day… today (Thurs) is my Sunday 4 day week coming. I can primp today. More tidying up, after a disco nap.

Round II: [N] –

Meal – T-burger, shrooms and egg & vits, (workout pre-supps)

Round III: [SF] – Made it out. Soldier hike to the market. 2 – 3 miles 30 lbs in the backpack on the return trip. Walked through the woods, rough terrain – good for the leg muscles.

Home – yogurt and BCAA’s maybe a pro-gainer shake later.

*breath has been shallow lately and wondering why. I haven’t changed anything that I can think of. Maybe the air is thinner? Less humid? Thought I’d keep track and maybe detect a pattern.

*Hair wash – spray with ACV & H2O combo, wash with baking soda H2O mix. Got a good lather. Rinse and add coconut oil. Looked and felt pretty good.

Good day over all. Accomplished. Never had the shake – but certainly had more tea. Not hungry so no dinner. Maybe another yogurt w/ blueberries. Yeah!

ACV & Chlorella.

Mugcersizes started today. Another Day 1 3 weeks to a habit. Should document changes, if any.

Psoas stretch, beginning to remember and pistol practice with 20 lb kettle bell. Guess I need more weight to balance my fat ass!





Summary 9-18-15: I’m over 90 days into this year’s Boot Camp and… And what?? Maybe I should compare to last year? Oh yeah… today… burpees streak continues and seated shoulder press is stronger, with no pain in the left shoulder. Wow. Have to acknowledge this for the future. Level 4


91815 [Friday #92] – Wake, one snooze – 10 burpees straight away… not the best idea, but I was curious about how I’d do. Slow and sluggish. Hot 20 straight after a warm up; twist, etc. AMX consists mostly of center body flexing and burpees and glute stretches, about 40 minutes today.  Then tea.

The digits… amazed… but remembering it’s not accurate… but I’m excited anyway. (I’m so human.) what came to me was the walking. In terms of weight loss and ratio, it looks like walking is better than running. I still have to sneak some runs in.

Gig: Rounds I – III: [N] – Nothing special.

Lunch, Park’s  91% usual with cole slaw.

Passport renewal done!

Round IV: and out!


YMCA Option #4 Modified & Updated.
Skipped the heavy legs option. Pre-supps and granola bar (expecting extra energy. I don’t think I realized any.)

Close grip bench press – started with 150 lbs and realized it was too heavy. I blamed the granola, adjusted the weight and my attitude and started again.

Lbs.
Reps
Comments
140
6
Left thumb
145
5
Hard today
150
4
A little better
155
3
Stronger
160
2
Challenging
165
1
Good enough

I had the idea to do reverse grip (also for triceps). This went a lot better.

70
10
80
10
100
6
110
5

Good going, this may be a stronger position than close grip.

Reverse grip Bent Row.

140
8
Wrist work between sets
150
6
Rev, wrist curls
160
6

170
4

185
3 + 3
Thinking I can do 200, but not today.

Seated Shoulder press (Barbell)

50 lbs (bar)
10
Warm up.
60
10
No shoulder pain.
70
10
Significant!
80
6
New territory (I think)
90
5

100
3 + 3
Good show, don’t get greedy – but maybe move up next go.


Standing Lats Pull/Row Cable –(beasting it)

120
15
Standing stabilizes the core
140
10

160
8

180
5 + 8
Feel like I can do the rack
190
4
Racked it.. Bull strength

In between I did some full rack stepping – which I can’t really explain, but will if I have to.

Cable shrugs: 190 x 15 – 10 – 2 x 15. Using different grips aiming for the trapz and posterior delts.

Straight arm pull down – Cable – 100 x 10; 110 x 8; 120 x 6 + 2 x 5.

And Done! Post protein drink, BCAAs and chips.

This turned out to b e a very strong, very good Session. I like the progressive resistance more than high rep – low weights. It’s still progressive, but it goes much slower. I sometimes forget that the high reps protocol was my recovery strategy.

Most grateful to the Bod – joint, especially shoulder and low back pain have significantly diminished to the point that I can lift heavier and don’t have to nurse them as much between sets. I find it both necessary and beneficial to work my forearms at every session, to keep these inner elbow tendons strong, lubricated and un-inflamed.


Home – (public transit… now that the trolleys are running again… ) Yogurt & blueberries. 2x tea. Visit from Brother Maoul and Doze. Level 4.

Good night. (Maybe I should make a blog for cleaning out my house. It might inspire me to get it done.)




Summary 9-19-15: Status quo in the AM, 30 burpees done and stretching. Upper-Upper day at the Y, Short night out on the town and drinks. End of Part I: Session 7… already.


91915 [Saturday #93] – Double snooze – full intention.
A little back eval to close the week... YMCA 9-19-2015

AMX – The usual, 30 burpees 2 x 15. Cutting it down. The game should be add one/subtract one until I can get all 300 in a single shot, then add one until I don’t have to do them everyday and still not lose energy. Then alternate pushups and burpees. 40 sidekicks, 100 reverse crunches. Holding stretches for 90 seconds so that takes longer. Twists, rotations, of course and tea. ACV shot before breakfast – t-burger – egg – cheese, scallions and shrooms.

Round I: [N] – or so it seems.

Half way through Session 7 already. Better numbers too, although they regressed and weight was up despite no dinner, & 2x tea last night. “Calorie restriction.”

Gig today, then upper-upper at the Y. Kind of calm. Very low weight, I expect.

Round II: [S-F] – Lunch, Park’s 101% seafood weekend, salmon, shrimp, crab, slaw, cabbage, greens.

Round III: [TL]


YMCA – Upper-Upper Day, pre-supps. Flies, pulls, rows, raises, shrugs.

Bent flies & Hanging Shrugs: 30 lbs – 4 x 15 of each. Rhomboids wake up!

Seated Shoulder lat raises. 10 lb plates 10; 3 x 12

DB back kick 70 lbs.. simply moving a dumbbell across the floor with the heal. 3 sets to and fro.

Bent/crouch bench flies 30 lbs 2 x 12 at least. (I didn’t log everything today).

Low Pull ups – neutral “L” – 3, 4 – elbows. Must remember to do more of these.

Crouching bench shrugs 40 lbs. 4 x 15

Seated shrugs – 50 lbs 4 x 15

Thor hammers 25 lbs. 2 x 14; 2 x 20

DB Front raises – 20 lbs. 4 x 20 (tot)

Post protein & BCAA’s (and chips)


Home – yogurt & blueberries.

Round IV; [SF] –Tria & Helium – Mussels w/ bread, iced tea, two weak fruity rum drinks and comedy. (Good show).

Finished up just after midnight – Nod time. Not a bad way to end the first half.


End of Part 1 of Session 7 



The numbers got really exciting this week… because I started walking back from the gym. At least that’s what I think is happening. I think this because it’s happened before. Those hikes to the market usually have resulted in the drop of a pound or two the next day and I believe that hour walk I took in Tucson was the catalyst for the weight drop and ratio increase in late May… it probably wasn’t the back injury. Just as I hit my best numbers of the year on Friday, I allowed myself a cheat day and my numbers went “up.” And on the final day of this chapter, I twisted my right ankle during my morning walk to the bus stop, for Pope Francis detail. There’s always a situation. Will have to keep up maintenance on this because Monday & Tuesday are fitness classes again.

Day
Sunday
9-20
Monday
9-21
Tuesday
9-22
Wednesday
9-23
Thursday
9-24
Friday
9-25
Saturday
9-26
Ave.
Weight
184
183.2
181.4
181.4
181.4
181.4
183.4
182.3
Body Fat %
16.5
16.1
15.8
15.8
16.1
15.6
16.3
16
BF wt.
30.36
29.5
28.66
28.66
29.21
28.3
29.9
29.16
H2O %
61.1
61.4
61.6
61.6
61.4
61.7
61.2
61.4
H2O wt
112.42
112.48
111.74
111.74
111.38
111.92
112.24
111.93
Muscle mass %
43.4
43.6
43.7
43.7
43.6
43.8
43.5
43.6
Muscle wt.
79.86
79.88
79.27
79.27
79.1
79.45
79.78
79.48
MM:BF
Ratio
2.63
2.71
2.77
2.77
2.71
2.81
2.67
2.72








Summary – 9-20-15: Good day, 30 burpees streak still alive. Dead lift 360… but was going for 375… I think I should go slower on this venture.


92015 [Sunday #94] – double snooze, but woke up surprisingly well. AMX – 30 burpees, toe-touch and stretch.

Round I: [GF] – the spectrum is green? Chlorella or something else.

Lunch: Tootsie’s 84% chicken, kale, feta, cabbage.
Back eval from Dec. 20, 2011... Made progress.

Round II: [N] –

Sunday’s have become old movie days @ the gig. It’s just being there… standing watch. Like in the Navy.

Cut out of the job and hit the Y.

YMCA – deadlifts – This is the primary purpose of the day. Good to do on Sundays. Not many people around. I go for the weight and low reps. One will do. Pre-supps.

250 x 5 [warm up, finally I can start higher than 230.]
300 x 2; 330 x 2 – Done with my weaker grip and no wraps. Left hand pronated & right palm up. That was the warm-up, although I may start doing a ten rep warm-up over two sets.

350 x 1 + 1: strong grip, but it was tough.
360 x 1 .. up 10 lbs since last time. I’ll take it although I’d imagined going to 375, but that will have to wait. PB (or PR) is 385 and my current fantasy is 8 plates (410)… 540 lbs (3 times my body weight) would require more serious training than I’m willing to give.

Finished up with some leg curls cable: 150 – 210, decreased reps and added weight.   

Seated leg presses and 4 x 10 lunges w/ 25 lb dbs. Felt the psoas, so do more with low weight. Don’t get stupid.

Post protein and BCAAs.

41 minute walk home. Pace hasn’t changed much. Still doing mugcercise.

Yogurt and blueberries – cup of tea. Nice to relax at home, but need to organize my stuff to get rid of.

No night ritual and early to bed. 



Summary 9-21-15: Slow day… 30 burpess and stretching, upper body/vanity work, and Functional Fitness at the Y. Good day. Level 2

92115 [Monday #95] – One snooze, laid awake for a while before the alarm.
AMX 30 burpees (17 – 13) second set is always stronger. I should maybe add a third set? Maybe go to 40? Might make 30 easier to do. Bridges [45], toe touch [30] stretches 100 seconds. Less than 30 minutes and tea.

It’s cool out today. Fall is on the way. My favorite season.

Good digits.
Breakfast – t-burger, egg, shrooms.

Gig – round I: [N] –
Lunch – park’s 88%

Slow Monday… time to plan my pre-class workout. I’m thinking light shoulders, triceps, biceps, forearms, maybe calves.. shaping.

Round II: [N] – outtie.


YMCA – pre-supps.. shoulders & arms.

Pull-Overs: 65 x 10; 75 x 10, 85 x 8; 95 x 3 +4

Shoulder flies 20 lbs. 4 x 15

Barbell Curls [Bar] 8 – 10 -12 – 10

Reverse EZ curls – Bar x 15; 10 lbs x 15; 20 lbs x 15; 30 lbs x 10 (best weight).

Barbell wrist curls – Bar 50 +25+30+20 – I can put plates on this.

Triceps cable pull down – 60 – 120 progressive 6 sets about 10 each

Done. Quickie BCAA’s & Chips


Functional Fitness – good session. The beach was tough! Walk home – a little quicker this time.

“Dinner” protein/gainer – egg, creatine, p-butter, coconut oil, cayenne…
Then, tea.

Got to do something to advance my agenda.

Then, I passed out, well before 2100. Didn’t even get my socks off. Level 2 (unusual).


Summary 9-22-15: RDO, slept in. Burpees streak continues. Took care of business, CSX at the Y and more walking. Level 2

92215 [Tuesday #96] – Finally out of bed around 0635 – ish… sore and arguably tired, but not sleepy. I went back and forth through dreams of grey hair and former lovers. I argued with my self whether to get up or get more sleep. It was chilly and dark and that kept me in bed too. It’s an off day… When my energy increases, burpees and TCB @ 0900.

Round I: [M] –

AMX – 30 burpees (18 – 12) tough, but done. Toe touches, run in place. Late for my project, but it will get done today!!

Weigh in – 181.4 15.8 – 61.6 43.7 – significant drop in weight and the rest follows.

Aside from fitness classes and the weights, it seems that the walk makes a big difference, could even be that long walk I took in Tucson that made the difference in may (and the heat0. Walking from the Y will be more beneficial than using my transpass… So, more walking in the fall chapter. Keep lifting heavy and eating well.

Bkft – Yogurt & blueberries.
Last “P” accomplished
Brunch – egg, sausage, tomatoes – Aquarius Diner
20 – 25 minute walk for 69.
Food prep – Smoked Turkey Soup.
Meal – yogurt – restock vitamins.
Chores, dishes.
Round II [T] -
Head out to TU for CSX: 2 fun, small classes. Pre-stack, banana after CSX, maybe BCAA’s later w/ shake (This didn’t happen.)

Oh.. must put Turkey soup on the fire.

Home – Meal – tuna can w/ spices. Soup’s on. 



Summary: 9-23-15 –Slept late… AMX burpees streak continues… YMCA Old school chest work. 90 minutes of pecks! Level 2.


92315 [Wednesday #97] – Slept late by choice. up around 0715 warm up AMX, 30 burpees (15 – 15), toe touch and stretch [50 bridges].

Tea.

Round I: [N] –

Bkft: turkey soup, yum, spicy, but not too bad.
Will make it to the Y today. Probably one of the last until next week.

Weigh in – same as yesterday. Pretty psyched I maintained these digits for more than one day.

Round II: [S] – time to hit the Y, but more soup first.
To the Y – boy stuff.. chest & back, get some declines if possible.
Walk to 69 – pace has quickened.


YMCA – pre-stack

Bench press:
Weight
Reps
Comments
150
6 + 6
Good warm up, no shoulder pain
160
5

170
5

180
3
This is where it got heavy
190
2 + 2
Power up
200
2 + 1
Left side lacks, Frank on spot

I want to rep 200 up to ten easily, but I’m not going to get stuck here. I need to be pressin’ 225 again… at least. So I need more strength.

Decline db press and flies with 10 lbs plates (super sets)
30 lbs 4 x 20/ flies 15+ 2 x 20

Incline bench press + Barbell shoulder press (1 arm)

Weight
Reps
Comments
70
10
Easy
80
10

90
10
Surprised I got 3 tens
100
8
Keep going
110
6

120
2 + 3 + 4
Big drop in strength, otherwise things went well.

The one-arm barbell presses and speed bag between sets may have helped. Can probably warm up with 90 or 100 next time.

90 minutes of chest work. Post protein, BCAA’s crackers; walk home from the Y.




Meal – Banana, can of tuna & Tea.

Now for the house work.

I can already feel the results of today’s work.
Meal – Yogurt & blueberries.
Chores… night ritual.. ACV + Chlorella. It wasn’t too late a night.






Summary 9-24-15: 30 burpees streak still in effect, 20th day. Heavy leg work at the Y, walk back and in bed early. Good day. Level 3

92415 [Thursday #98] – wake up – no snooze because the phone ran out of power. Fate.

AMX – warm up, flail the arms, etc. 30 burpees (2 x 15) tough; 20 diamond pushups and stretches. Glad to get through those burpees. I think this is day 20. I think they’ve helped… something. Wonder what it’d be like in the middle of the day.

Weigh in – numbers went back “up.” I feel like I ate a lot yesterday. A lot of soup. Might have gained weight if not for the walking, (weight’s holding steady, see chart).  Walking isn’t running – but it works for me. [in fact I may add the walking days with the running days to get the 30 out of 90. I could also pick up running again, but the weights & walking combo seems to be working fine.].

Breakfast – soup – turns out to be two bowls. Should hold me over til after 0800 – so I don’t have to dove into the t-mix.

Round II – [N] – lunch Park’s 96%

Y workout plan; front squats, leg press, single leg lunges, adductors.

Round III: [SS-M] –

YMCA – This is a morphication of Option #3. Protocol, go heavy, start with low weight reps, after adequate warm ups increase weight, reduce reps. Pre-stack.. Done.


YMCA – Option #3

Front Loaded Squats:

Weight (lbs)
Reps
Comments
100
8
Good warm up, pretty easy.
120
6
Big jump, but handlin’
130
5

140
4

150
3

160
2 + 2
Very much a pyramid style. Looking towards 200 on this, when my shoulders can handle the weight of the bar.

Leg Press (Inverted Smith) weight is plate weight only and doesn’t include the bar. Plus calf flex/press super sets. I did squats first to fatigue the legs before the press.

Weight
Reps
Reps (calves)
Comments
270
10
40
Smith was close to the wall so the angle was different.
340
12
30

410
5 + 5
20 + 20




410 is heavy. Got bad footing on a set and had to redo.


Snap cleans – from the knees to the top of the chest.
70 lbs x 10 – 80 x 10 – 100 x 6 + 6 + 8 – This is going to get me some kind of stronger, but not sure which. I was a little more strong like bull than last time I did this. At some point I’ll have to add the press.

Bench Lunge squat – 25 lbs. 4 x 6 each. Tough, psoas, wobbly. I need better form, more balance. I must master the balance and build a stronger core.

Adductor press & stretch (Cable)
150 lbs 4 x 12 – mainly for the stretch, which is brutal. But it will benefit me.

Leg extensions – (cable) 150 – 225 lbs. 10 to 6 reps, possibly up to 6 sets. I didn’t keep very good notes on this one.

Walk home from the Y 2 – 2.5 miles. Chill, then gainer/ protein shake and tea.


Thought I might have a bowl of soup before bed, but didn’t. Tired and need to get up an hour early tomorrow, so bag it up and take it to bed. Lights out before 2000 hours.





Summary 9-25-15 Up at 0300 burpees, got 20 in a row.. 2nd round. Pope Detail… and all time best ratio – 2.81:1. Ate a donut and a pretzel on this detail. 13 hours OT in the bank. More to come… or not.


92515 [Friday #99] – Wake 0300… I think I got to bed before 2000 hrs. I’m thinking this morning, I can do this on a regular basis.

Round I: [K] the way we want it.

AMX warm ups – burpees (10 + 20). It had been on my mind to save the second set for the big bite. I will eventually have to do more than 30. Note: it’s funny how some things come to mind and very soon after come to life – so to speak… and others don’t. just sayin’. 2 sets of work this morning; 2 x 30 toe touches & stretch, 2 x 30 bridges, 2 x 10 roll backs (new but have to keep doing this for back flexibility). Butt stretches, but nothing yoga-esque.

Tea.

Weigh in 181.4 – 15.6 – 61.7 – 43.8 = 2.81:1 ratio best to date. Interesting, fat reduced, muscle increased, weight is the same. I didn’t think the scale would allow this to happen. Maybe it was me. Hmmm. Yet I continue. What I’ve been doing; lifting, but the biggest change has been walking home, and maybe having no dinner, (calorie restriction) and getting to bed early. I should put this to the test, this weekend as I will be working overtime… all weekend.

Bkft – turkey soup. Got me in a massive sweat!!! Cool day.

This is the first day of Pope-stock weekend, so it’s a bit different. Out at 0445 to bus it to the gig. 30 mins walk to the 6-9 terminal. (Just noting this for posterity.)

Gig – Ate a donut, had a cup of tea compliments of Wawa and the Salvation Army. Thanks. This seems to be keeping the hunger away. Haven’t jumped into the trail mix yet. Ate a hardboiled egg too. Got to be here for 12 hours today. Lots of time to think and catch up. Nibbled on a Wawa pretzel for a while. Third cup of tea. (Maybe I should have more tea during regular work days??)

Round II: [F] – lunch, or lunch time – had the AM protein pack and an un-wrap, I 86’d the bread which was like a carpet. I used to eat the whole thing. Thanks for feeding us Wawa… I’ll stick to the good stuff.

Round III: [N] – reflecting on today’s diet. This weekend will be different  -- as usual – I just hit a new high for my muscle to fat ratio, oh well… I may be on to the formula now.

Home – by my own resources… workout got some upper-upper shoulders and back work done. More lifting over my head from the kneeling position. Yes!!

Meal, turkey soup, yogurt and blueberries. Pre sleep ritual (ACV + chlorella) Talk-talk, Lil Italy and doze.


Summary 9-26-15: Last day of Chapter I, 30 burpees and another 12 hours sitting around the gig. Twisted my ankle on the way to the bust stop. Gained weight from yesterday’s bad eating decisions, but I’ll get back on track. This may yet have some highlights.  Level 4.


92615 [Saturday #100] – Wow it’s day 100 and I didn’t realize it until right now… whenever that was. 

Wake 0300, no time to snooze. AMX 30 burpees (3 x 10) some other stuff, not the normal routine… tea – doesn’t taste as good… too much yesterday. Agua today. Agua.. and Apples.

Weigh in [see chart] Bad. Yesterday = cheat day. Today I start my comeback.

Bkft – Turkey soup.
Round I: [F] – Morning walk to 69, slight ankle turn on the way. Just made the bus… modified schedule indeed! Starting to limp a little.
Round II: [N] – So far true to my own eating vows.
Lunch – unwrapped Caesar chicken.
Round III: [ND] –

I’m paying for my dietary choices yesterday. May have to go out and get some greens…

Round IV: [R] – and not for recovery, but I’m recovering.
Knocked out two apples today & two un-wraps. Express train to 6-9, groceries and another walk from Upper Darby. Salad for dinner (baby arugula, shrooms, scallions, cheese, spices and olive oil) – nodded about 2200, no exercise, no night rituals – guess I don’t have to do them every night. Level 4 .

I think yesterday has been paid in full. One more 12 hour tour tomorrow and eights will seem like half days.

Done with this session, this season and this chapter. Some stats below. I didn’t get as in depth as I thought I would, but I can still add a chart or two later – or include it in the next chapter.

See you in Chapter Two: Autumn.

Here’s a quick summary of Survival Protocol Chapter 1: Summer. I gained weight steadily during the summer, which seems unusual; however I started lifting heavier shortly after this Chapter started, so I’m hoping it’s mostly muscle. (The mirror and the fit of my clothes seem to concur with the muscle theory.) But here are the numbers… which I have found, can and do lie… but that will be our secret. It seemed this summer that my 173 – 178 lbs. goal slipped away, but I think I can get back under 180 lbs. during the Fall. There’s still time to play outside. 


2015
2014
 Averages for Chapter I: Summer of Years Noted.
Total Weight gained
44.9 lbs
49.9 lbs.

Total weight lost
39.8 lbs
52.7 lbs.
 Lost almost 53 lbs. last summer.
Net Gain
5.1 lbs.
-12.9 lbs.
This is a huge difference, almost 13 lbs. net loss. 
I had more to lose last year.
Average weight
(over 12 weeks)
182.4 lbs
188.3 lbs.
Significantly lighter this year.
Ave. Body fat %
17.1%
N/A
(not available) I didn’t get the new scale until September.
Ave Body Fat wt
31.19 lbs
N/A

Ave H2O %
60.7%
N/A

Ave. H2O wt.
110.71 lbs.
N/A

Ave. Muscle Mass%
43.1%
N/A

Ave. Muscle Mass wt.
78.61 lbs.
N/A


Some more data: My average weight, so far this year (184.15 lbs) is 2.5 lbs lower than the 10 year average (about 187 lbs) and nearly identical to my 2009 average weight. My average weight for this chapter is even lower than the 10 year average. As far as weight lifting strength I’m nowhere near my personal records in bench pressing or squats, but the dead lifts are coming along and the look, is noteworthy – and that’s what it’s really about at this point, n’est-ce pas?

End of Chapter I: Let’s get ready for the Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment