Monday, September 14, 2015

Session VI 83015 – 91215

Fitness is part of the health revolution - take control!

Survival Protocol
Chapter I: Summer 61915 - 92615 

Session VI: 83015 - 91215



Back to Life
Damn.. found this online, YMCA 2008

Most of the population within the zone of my awareness and witness conform to a similar schedule; Summer is fun time and thus down time. School is out in most places and this affects families and thus affects businesses. Most people take vacations over the Summer because kids are out of school. If we stopped to think about it, the way we schedule education here in the US has a major impact on our society.

Hmmm, got a little deep there for a moment.

I expect Session Six to bear witness to a kind of return for me to a more intense and rigorous exercise schedule and thus more pronounced and profound results. In the second week of Session Five (5.2) I finally got my feet back on the running track; the difference is this time I’ve added a back pack. Looking over my past entries I noticed that my lowest weight, highest muscle mass and best ratio was in May when I was out in the park running around the track and tossing logs… then I hurt my back, and did not return to the park until late August. But, oh well… I’ve started up again and it didn’t take me long to get hooked, nor did it take long for me to realize results. Now I have to work the run into the schedule of lifting, group fitness and whatever else I do… oh yeah, leisure.
I'm going to add these to my Options, but I'll use the bar.

Remembering years past, late summer into the early part of autumn, is the time I get very energetic and creative, and I’m looking forward to manifesting that energy in to accomplishing my goals for my physique. I still want (to the point of need) to get this belly down below a measurement of 90 centimeters. Last measuring day inches were added – there will be another measuring day before the end of this chapter and if I don’t see improvement I may have to declare all out war on belly fat… and that will mean a stricter diet, or some type of radical adjustment. I set my goals for going into the Holiday season and eventually into 2016 and I’ll likely spend most of Chapter 2 chasing those goals… with vigor!!

So here we go… Session Six, the penultimate session of Chapter I; coming back to life; going back to Temple for 15 weeks (just on Tuesdays), back to the YMCA for Functional Fitness on September 8th; and at least 27 more days of running with the backpack, AM exercises, Options Training (lifting) and turning my dreams into ideas, my ideas into plans and those plans into lifestyle.

Welcome to controlled mayhem. 




Day
Sunday
8-30
Monday
8-31
Tuesday
9-1
Wednesday
9-2
Thursday
9-3
Friday
9-4
Saturday
9-5
Ave.
Weight
184.4
184.4
183.4
183.4
181
181.8
183
183
Body Fat %
17.8
17.7
17.6
17.5
16.8
17.1
17.5
17.4
BF wt.
32.82
32.64
32.28
32.1
30.41
31.09
32.03
31.8
H2O %
60.1
60.2
60.3
60.3
60.9
60.6
60.3
60.4
H2O wt
110.82
111
110.6
110.6
110.23
110.17
110.35
110.53
Muscle mass %
42.7
42.7
42.8
42.9
43.2
43.1
42.9
42.9
Muscle wt.
78.74
78.74
78.5
78.68
78.2
78.36
78.51
78.5
MM:BF
Ratio
2.40
2.41
2.43
2.45
2.57
2.52
2.45
2.47




Summary 8-30-15: Finally reached 4 sets of 54 pushups! Back to Temple group meeting today… good to see everyone. I am thinking this will be my last season (end of 2016) there… so I’d better give them a good 18 months. Took a long hot hike from Chinatown to Temple campus… that was my exercise for the day.


83015 [Sunday #73] – August seems to last forever. Pisces full moon – super moon in the sky. Eyes open at 0345 – and I wait for the alarm. I am fairly energetic.

AMX – finally complete 4 sets of 54 pushups, with 30 minutes, btw – and my chest felt every set especially the final 14. I am strong to 40. I suppose I want my chest to burn. This is the wall and once I reach it, it ceases to be the wall. I seemed to skip right over the other stuff; 1 x 40 bridges, 2 x 80 sidekicks, shadow boxing, etc.

Round I: [NT] –

I’m sure today’s digits reflect the weekend which consisted of more hanging out than working out, although I didn’t miss a day of (some kind) of exercise. Once I get through 10 – 12 days of running, I think the metabolism will improve. We’ll see though. The Bod seems to be on a 3 week schedule for both healing and adapting.

Bod looks good though. Would like to get myself out of my self-imposed red zone, which I will define now: >17% body fat and >180 lbs. Yes! Both have to true. I can be 185 lbs., for instance and have 16.5% body fat and I’m green. Both markers together makes it red. I’m not going to freak out about the ratio for a while. I think it will take care of itself. I may have to settle for 2.75:1, (i know that 2.5:1 is sustainable).

Bkft: Tea. Not very hungry. I think chicken and eggs will do.

TU meeting this afternoon after work. May even get some lifting in. next Option is #1. I think I can do that Monday. Tuesday begins CSX.

I was strong up the El steps today. I can get 3 threes. That’s getting easier, but the fourth try is tough, I usually only get two (steps). Legs are sore & pumped.

Round II: [N] –
Round III: [N] – Lunch Tootsie’s – 74%, kale chicken, cabbage, feta… did she give me a discount?? Maybe it was for everybody.

Round IV: [SS] – TU, indoctrination. Afterwards, banana, seaweed, and cheese sticks.. on the way home. Chocolate gainer shake, egg, banana and strawbs and peanut butter at home. This was dinner.

Drank a lot of H2O  and tea. Had a 31 minute disco nap and got some chores done. Then the nod. No night time ritual. I may need to restart. Perhaps add charcoal this week. I need to use that up, it seems unnecessary.

G’nite. 


Summary 8-31-15: Changed it all up today. Switched up my attitude and my strategy. Back to lifting heavy and I can still pull 300 lbs off the floor. Yeah baby!!

83115 [Monday #74] – double snooze and sluggish. Stretch, rotate and leg oriented AMX. Feeling like Monday, but could just be recovering from the weekend.

Round I: [NS]: glad to start these early.

The numbers are basically the same. No exercise yesterday except the AM stuff.

Looking at my charts I wonder if the post workout protein is doing more to add fat than muscle. I was leaner and lighter when I wasn’t taking it. Almost finished this can. I wonder if I should get more or go without, to evaluate and compare.

Round II: [NS] –
Option #1 today and thinking of changing some things up. Start alternating b/w Romanians and proper deadlifts… however I’ve been doing Roms for about two months… I think it’s time to straight switch-up. Lunge squats, keep thrusters and add front squats somewhere as well as overhead squats w/ barbells.

Round III: [NFSC] –
Lunch – Park’s 97%

Option #1 is going to change today. I don’t know exactly how, but yeah… change… just a bit.

Round IV: [NS] – I think it’s time to move some weight. Go to pyramid training. Keep some/most of Option exercises, just do them differently. For instance 6 – 1 & 1 – 6 deadlifts = 42 reps; less than 60 (4 x 15), but much heavier. So let’s go t here to start. Keep thrusters as is – work lunges into lunge squat combos, leg curls, same and see if I have time for any vanity work. Work this out.

Looks like I’ve been doing Options since June-July, so September is a good time for modification.

Round V: [SSL] – headed to the Y.


Option #1 –

Deadlift – pyramids. (I am going to need a table for this)

6 – 1
1 - 6

200 x 6
300 x 1

220 x 5
280 x 2

240 x 4
260 x 3

260 x 3
250 x 4*
*grip began to fail here, left hand
280 x 2
230 x 5

300 x 1
200 x 6


I was nervous and I felt some of the heavier lifts in my heart. Took some solid breaks though and worked it out. I want to do this with flat, incline and close grip presses as well as squats and maybe even rows. Only one set of pyramids per day. But of course this can change.

Snatch (no press); 70 lbs. barbell 4 x 15 done.
First time doing this and it’s rough. I want to get my bod acclimated to these moves. I did these in lieu of thrusters. They will have to be first one day.

Barbell Lunges – 80 lbs back loaded. 14 – 16 – 18 – 20. Short stride. Psoas feels good – must have gotten stronger. Left knee is shaky.

Seated leg curls cable 150 lbs. 3 x 15, 1 x 12 – the last two sets were brutal, but the first two led me to believe I’d get all 4 sets done. I can stay here for a while and get stronger.

Ostrich – 2 x 10, 7, 5. Still acclimating to this. I can extend my range of motion here… still a long way to go for results here I think.

Up-row – small bar 24 lbs on it. 4 x 15. Move up.

Pre-supps post protein drink and BCAAs. Slim jim and corn chips (sample pack from the Y) just over a hour.






Rode to 6-9, walked home from there.

Home meals – Chicken, celery, tea, peanut butter, blueberries, H2O.

Nite ritual – charcoal & ACV shot before bed. Gonna need some greens for an end of week cleanse, better make that (food) list. CSX debuts tomorrow @ TU. I’m up for it, as always.


SEPTEMBER


Summary: 9-1-15: First day of September and first day of Temple U CSX. I expected, or envisioned more people. 20 out of a max of 55 and a preferred 30-ish. A lot of people from last year graduated so I think I’ll have to rebuild the population – or more accurately it will have to rebuild itself. On another note, minimumwagefitness@yahoo.com was established today. It’s for the future. I can actually envision MWF (I like the way it implies Mon-Wed-Fri as workout days) becoming anything but minimum wage.


90115 [Tuesday #75] – September – double snooze and up for the AMX. Not very intense – tried some new pushups, very wide and in front, 2 x 20, bridges 2 x 40, leg curls, no weight. Th elegs haven’t started hurting from yesterday yet.

Digits: still slow progress. Keep going.

Round I: [N] – I guess.
Round II: [N] – Leg stretches on the table. Gotten away from these. Had some chills.
Round III: [N-C] –

Lunch – Park’s 101% - split this up. If I can extend the amount of time it takes to eat lunch I think it will be beneficial.

Round IV: [N] – Minor event.

First CSX os the semester 15 – 16 coming up in an hour.. psyched, but nervous.

Temple double play – good balance for CSX; pre-supps and post protein/BCAAs, banana after…
Dinner?

I successfully wore myself out – no actual dinner; blueberries, p-butter, floor nap and late cup of tea. So the TUGX season begins. I thought I’d have more energy… maybe I’ll earn more as we progress.

No night ritual. Wonder how I’ll feel tomorrow. Oh yes, stuffy rt. Nostril, I went too hard on the rt calf. Been sneezing more than usual.  That is all.





Summary: 9-2-15: returned to doing reverse pushups at work; first Option #2 pyramid work and started measuring the H2O consumption again. I feel like my gains, numbers-wise have been flat. I need to start pumping things up.



90215 [Wednesday #76] – If I didn’t have to I would not have gotten up today. First day back to TUGX yesterday means first day-after – of recovery. It wasn’t too bad. Double-plus snooze, AMX = abs work, bridges, stretch and twist, short set just to flow the blood. Tea.

Digits… progress, but slow. I’m consciously resisting analysis – just keep moving.

Bkft: Potluck & chicken… not bad.

Round I: [N] – Gig. Think I’ll go back to reverse pushups in the stote room. Feelis like that kind of day and Option #2 Pyramids… bench press.

For some reason it came to me to drink 34 oz of H2O before I eat anything at the gig. Also started eating bananas again.

Reverse pushups 10, full range and slow and felt it.. [plus two more sets of 10] – some soreness but no pain. Moderate.

So, how to execute Op2 Today? Start with 130 and advance to 180. Ok a good start. Then rows – maybe shrugs, incline 100 lbs, lat pulls, low wt. hi rep flies or peck deck?

The H2O challenge failed. May have to work my way into it. I’m not even sure it will be beneficial.

Round II: [NF-C]… Add adductors to Op2

Lunch – Park’s 90%

Round III: [N] –


YMCA Option # 2 Pyramids

Bench Press: this worked out pretty well. Next time I can start at 140… eventually I’ll get to 200, even it’s it’s a single rep. at some point I will need a spotter.

130 x 6
140 x 5
150 x 4
160 x 3
170 x 2
180 x 1
180 x 1
170 x 2
160 x 3
150 x 4
140 x 5
130 x 6





Bent Row w/ wrist work between sets. 140 lbs.
12-10-8-10 – stay the course. First time (in a while) doing 140.


Incline Bench press: 100 lbs.
12 – 2 x 10 – 8
Not a bad showing after the pyramids. Stay here until I’m strong enough to start with pyramids here.

Shrugs (190 lbs) w/ over-shoulder db lifts (20s & 25s) b/w sets.
3 x 15, with a set of 14 due to left grip fail. Still going to 200 next time.

Lat Pull down (Cable) 105 lbs.
15 – 13 – 10 – 11: First set is usually easy. Staying here for a while.

Wide Pull ups:
6-4-4-5: Not high and not strong, but necessary and nothing hurts.



And that’s a wrap; Pre-supps and post protein and BCAAs. Chips and t-mix, left over from the day.

Hair cut – (I should have a pic – oh well) and walk home from 6-9. These have been some hot days. I think that they don’t bother me because I don’t absorb the hype from the news. Just a guess.

Close to 90 oz of H2O today. Feeling tired, but willing myself to stay up and move. Got chores to do. Mas agua, I think.

Managed to stay awake – got some kitchen cleaning done.
Elixir & chlorella before bed and shower. Maybe I hit 90 oz? Not sure, but I think I got enough H2O today.

G’nite. [off tomorrow. Run day.]


Summary 9-3-15: This was a very active and strong day that ended with dinner at Mom’s. Two mile run with the back pack and the realization my load was twice as heavy as I thought. Nice!

90315 [Thursday #77] – After a long sleep – many snoozes – and a slow start I finally got out of bed at 0730 – Round I: [N] – did some twists and warm ups and got out on the track at 0845 – Ran/jogged 2 miles with the backpack (what I thought was 10 lbs. was actually 20) boots and gloves… then walked half a mile with the pack on the front. Got about an hour in the sun.

Shower, weigh in 181 – 16.8 – 60.9 – 43.2 – haven’t seen these numbers in a while – but skewed to the run. I should always be running – someday I will internalize this ‘truth’ and it will manifest.

Feeling yesterday’s work in the upper body already. Good! Time for breakfast. Think I’ll start with a shake.

Round II: [N] – feeling that way after a run. Not hungry but feeling like I should eat. Had a chocolate gainer shake w/ banana, honey, coconut oil 7 creatine – cup of tea.

Bod is in recovery. I just want to/have to keep it moving. Recovery will be stronger the more I do this.

Needed a recovery meditation.
Lunch coming up… then may have to get out.  Out at 1400 wandered around and picked up some goodies for future dinners and such.

Dinner at Mom’s – good stuff. Chicken and stir fry with veggies and eggplant.

Round III: [N] – food shopping with “Philly” [sister]. Thanks.

Round IV: [LD] –

Still time to get some things done. Wondering about tomorrow’s work… it’s legs and lower body, maybe catch up with Frank at the Y. the Y is closed this weekend so running after work is possible/probable. This was day 4/90.. or more accurately 4 of 30 out of 90… I’m just over 1% into this. Stay focused.


Summary 9-4-15; second RDO (regular day off) and I hit the legs hard with Option #3. After a heavy workout I managed to stay awake and alert and responsible enough to do some yard work. There’s something starting to kick in… it has something to do with mindfulness or mental strength. How interesting.


90415 [Friday #78] – Another battle getting out of bed.. but I won by 0700 – 0715-ish, I think.


Occasional Selfie - 9-04-15 YMCA

AMX – something inspired me to do 30 burpees… or at least try. The voice said ‘take your time’ – the first 15 went straight and I chopped up the last half. Sweat came and I was awake… 2 x 40 bridges and butt stretches 1 x 55 pushups… starting that climb – felt like my chest was splitting open!!

Los numerous – moving away again (or more likely back to the “norm”) of course but these weren’t too bad. Still red, b/c I want body fat under 17% normally. In fact, I don’t even want 16% I want somewhere in the 15.0 – 15.9 range to be the norm. Lofty goals.

Anyway, now I can enjoy some spicy, gingery turkey soup, a cup of tea and maybe yogurt before I hit the Y.

No bouts so far. 2x tea – like the sweat. Will I run today?

Option #3 Heavy legs.. preview
Leg press of course & shin flex. I ‘m thinking front loaded squat pyramids with lowered weight due to the leg press, adductors – standing row small bar, maybe lunges off the bench, test the core and ?? I’m free all day. Got hours to spend at the gym.

YMCA – Round I: [N] – 


Option #3: Heavy Legs

Leg press: + Calf presses + shin flex.

270 x 20
50
Good warm up
410 x 10
20
Added twice as much weight as I meant to, so switched the strategy to “high-low”
340 x 15
40

390 x 10
20

270 x 25
30
This last set was supposed to be a ‘rep-out’ but it was more like a wipe out. Did me good, though.

Shin Flex 90 lbs. (20 – 2 x 15, 10)


Front Squat Pyramids: so you get the idea we do 12 sets, we start at low weight with high (6) reps and work with higher weights and lower reps and then back up in reps and lowering weight. Get it? That’s what 6 – 1 & 1 – 6 is all about.


100 x 6
105 x 5
110 x 4
115 x 3
120 x 2
125 x 1 (and back)

This was actually fairly easy. Next time around I think I’ll start at the same weight and add 10 lbs instead of 5. This may be a better strategy than starting higher. I think I can switch off the more confident and strong I get.


Calf raises on the smith:
180 x 20; 200 x 20; 2 x 15 @ 250. (250 is the right weight)


Leg extensions: (some guy says these are no good for us, but I did them anyway today. He may be right, but I’ve been doing them for years. Do they help? I think they do.

150 lbs cable 4 x 15… next time I’ll do more weight.


Adductors cable 150 lbs. 20; 2 x 15; 10.
This isn’t so much about the weight as it is range of motions. My legs don’t spread that far, that easily. This is why I need to do these.


Db lunges: 25 lbs. 2 sets of 10. Weak. I am still not the kind of lunges.

Calf raises (steps) 25 lbs. 3 – 4 sets of 20 – 30 reps.


There are a number of stations I didn’t get to. I usually shy away from the elevated lunges and I need to be better at getting them done. I use too many excuses. Maybe this is something I should work on at home or gig or both, with light or no weights.

Anyway – out in nearly two hours. I took much time (BTW I did catch Frank, it was good to train along side of him again. A rare pleasure these days, to train with my one-time lifting partner/coach.)

Pre-supps and post protein as usual and BCAAs.

Meal @ Aquarius diner. 2 eggs, 2 sausage, tomatoes and tea.

Meal (home): coconut yogurt w/ blueberries.

Legs day 9-04-15 A Rare Peek.
Round II: [N] – I’m worn down. Should get to the yard today, sweep the front. I was even thinking about a run before sundown. Maybe. No pack today. Got myself a massager and new socks. Rewards!! Woo hoo!

Meal: Turkey soup, had a cup of tea before – blueberries after the soup.

I feel my resolve is stronger and I have more energy. How many times have I not felt like doing the front/garden. I did it today. Got more energy and more appetite. I don’t t hink I mentioned the free YMCA chips and slim jim I had right after the protein drink. I’m out of powder, btw.. I may or may not re-up the protein.

Cool wind is blowing. Might be comfortable tonight. Gig tomorrow. Never made the run today. Maybe at some point I’ll be lifting heavy and running the same day and surviving. Half way through Session 6 already.

G’night.





Summary: 9-5-15 – 30 burpees, second day. Ran through the woods with the backpack. Building strength. Gaining energy. End of first half of Session 6.





90515 [Saturday #79] – One snooze – but my eyes were open well before the alarm.

AMX: 30 burpees and some other stuff. Stretch, twist, ice the back, some wide out pushups (20).

The digits bounced back – despite strong leg work yesterday. Surely muscle is up… but this scale isn’t going to measure outside of its formula. (I may have to “hack” the scale to get the results I want.) Keep my eye on the mirror, which is telling me what I want to know.

Round I: [N] – Feeling legs today. Maybe I can get some reverse grip pushups in. Run this eve. The Y is closed.

Gig work: 2 x 11 rev. pushups and 2 x 10 box presses. (about 30 – 60 minutes apart.)

Round II: [N] – Lunch, Park’s – Saturday seafood, 82%. Shrimp, faux crab, greens, chick peas, cabbage.

Round III: [N] – home… contemplating the run.

Victory on the day. Got into the uniform of the day – backpack and added a chain belt and ran a mile through the woods.. and hiked back. (I tried a few run intervals, but I was heavy and tired.) I’ll just have to work my way up to the return trip. Stretching and BCAAs afterwards and turkey soup. I may have to have a shake in the next hour. Got to keep the metabolism burning.

Time for tea and ugh, clean up.

Made the choco-gainer shake, but after a lying down stretch relaxation moment. I feel energetic, even though the body feels worked. Ending this half of the session strong, but tired. Got some housework done. More to do, tea or not to tea. Definitely should hit chlorella and ACV tonight (done). That’s what was missing. I’m guessing close to 70 oz H2O today.

Good Night




End of Part I of Session Six




Note to self: while these digits seem to have taken a radical and dramatic turn, the fact it, I simply re-calibrated the scale. I felt the numbers I was getting weren’t reflecting my true body composition, so I made myself 5 years younger and ¼ inch taller and voila… better numbers. I saw a comic where a woman is shooting her scale for lying to her. I figure, rather than shoot it, lie back. After the scale test I determined the scale wasn’t accurate (this is clearly an excuse) so I switched it up. OK, now that I’ve confessed. Let’s move on. I now have a complete year of data from the offending device – so I think those charts will appear soon.

Day
Sunday
9-6
Monday
9-7
Tuesday
9-8
Wednesday
9-9
Thursday
9-10
Friday
9-11
Saturday
9-12
Ave.
Weight
183
184.8
184.8
182.6
182.6
182.6
182.6
183.3
Body Fat %
17.4
16.8
16.6
15.9
16.0
15.9
15.9
16.3
BF wt.
31.84
31.05
30.7
29.03
29.22
29.03
29.03
29.88
H2O %
60.4
60.9
61.0
61.5
61.4
61.5
61.5
61.2
H2O wt
110.53
112.54
112.72
112.3
112.11
112.3
112.3
112.18
Muscle mass %
42.9
43.2
43.3
43.7
43.6
43.7
43.7
43.4
Muscle wt.
78.51
79.83
80
79.8
79.61
79.8
79.8
79.55
MM:BF
Ratio
2.47
2.57
2.61
2.75
2.73
2.75
2.75
2.66








Summary 9-6-15: New Book; another day of 30 burpees during the morning exercise. Thought I might run, but it turned out to be a break day… but, nah… it was break day. Labor day weekend has a different feel to it.


90615 [Sunday #80] – Starting session 6.2 today. Double snooze. I’m not sleepy or tired, I just don’t want to get out of bed – but I don’t want to stay either. Got up fairly healthy with a sore middle back/lat, right side.

AMX – twists, stretches, day 3 of 30 burpees – three weeks to make a habit, eh? How many schemes have I got going? Iced the back. morning cup of tea and social media surfing – which I don’t think I’ve ever admitted to in this forum.

Round I: [N] –

Maybe it’s time to line up my YMCA selfies to compare.

Weigh in: disappointing, considering the run yesterday – forget it… I still look good. I think I could’ve scored these digits with the extra effort.

Bkft: Turkey soup, blueberries. Strong up the El steps. No leg soreness from running… so far.

Decline reverse pushups (2 x 12) over the course of the morning. 2 x 12 box presses too.

Round II: [BFF]
Round III: [N] – Lunch, Tootsie’s 89% - chicken, kale, feta, tomatoes.
Round IV: [SS] – L: double play.

Home: “recovered” the afternoon away with a nap and Derek Flint and Mike Hammer flicks. Kind of regretting not running, but also appreciating the break. I may do some light work before bed (didn’t)… though doubtful. Got prep done.. next workout – Tuesday @ TU

Not a complete waste.. I did some work at the gig. Chlorella w/ a cup of tea chaser before bed. I was productive. The room is ready. I can’t remember my running deadline. Nov. 30th, maybe? Let’s call it. Easy to remember. I have 25 days more of running before Nov. 30th.

Sometimes I forget that I’m writing this blog to my future self. I’ve started promoting it a little bit, however what I really should be doing is looking to convert this experience and data into a teaching tool.

All roads cross the exercise intersection; health, success, romance, esteem and confidence, longevity, quality of life. You will note that each of these items connect with each other. They don’t stand alone… if one is missing, the others are scattered.

Good Night.


Summary 9-7-15: Labor Day, early training… 30 burpees in the morning, and ethnic food later in the day, but no other exercise… so to speak.

90715 [Monday #81] – One snooze – but eyes opened earlier. H2O & AMX highlights: 30 burpees, 80 sidekicks, 40 bridges, stretch, twist, rotate; this body can be… must be more flexible, pliable, durable.

Tea.

Weigh in and scale manipulation #1: 184.8 – 17.8 – 60.1 – 42.7. Then I kicked the scale down 5 years and added an inch of height. Read #2 – 184.8 – 16.8 – 60.9 – 43.2 – This scale is biased, so I changed it. This is an ego thing. This might be the first anniversary of this scale. I cringe to think what my numbers would be if I added, say…. 15 years.

Bkft: Turkey soup.
Round I: [N] –
Round II: [N] – The gig.
Round III: [SS] – Lunch, vermicelli pork (Vietnamese, Pho Cali)
Round IV: [SS] –

Meal (w/ Seena) Lamb, Indian style, w/ rice, bread.. Tiffin, Wynnwood.
Visit with Mom and Andee.
In bed by 2130 and grateful. No ritual.


Summary 9-8-15: Two large sessions at TU today; 30 burpees in the morning and getting better numbers from re-calibrating the scale and some other magic happened today.

90815 [Tuesday #82] – One snooze – seemed to sleep well. Had dreams… as long as they’re bizarre I know I slept ok. (Yaya showed up briefly.)

Round I: [N] –

AMX – warm ups, waving, shadow box, (5 lbs), then the 30 burpees, seemed tougher over all, but easier at the start. Confidence building. 1 x 55 chest splitting pushups!! 100 crunches. Broke a strong sweat after the pushups. I’ve got to get 3 more 55’s before I can advance.

The digits…I will acknowledge the adjustment for the last time, as well as the justification that the numbers reflect the way I (think, I) look. Just to shock myself I may recalibrate the scale to a more accurate age. Take the numbers are run. The only value I trust on this scale is the weight, yet I dutifully read the numbers daily. Measuring day is a week away. I think I see results, but the tape will tell. More running.

Time for tea?
Aqua Box session w/ Gymnastics Team; Foto by Umme

Gig work: elevated reverse pushups 6, low and slow. 13 box presses. Re-visiting the Naked Warrior, seeking maximal strength and one legged/one armed body work.

Lunch: Park’s 87% - d-turkey, salmon, avo, peppers, etc.

Round II: [N] –

Temple double… good strong CSX session. 50% participation (from me). Crazy aqua box w/ womens gymnastics team,

Chillin’ at home; tea and probably no dinner. Protein & BCAAs after CSX and pre-supps before. Seaweed after aqua on the ride home. Seemed to do it the hunger.

Night ritual: ACV and chlorella. G’nite.





Summary 9-9-15: Pretty normal day; 30 burpees at AMX, Option #4 at the Y. Got some chores done. Enjoying the way the numbers have been going, since I changed the scale. Ja ja.

90915 [Wednesday #83] -  double snooze – not needed –but…

Round I: [N]

AMX – there was only one task on my to do list; 30 burpees and they were still tough. This is the day after CSX @ TU and aqua Box (20 people, probably the largest I’ve ever had.) Another staple exercise I haven’t mentioned is seated toe touch italicized because I’m trying to go beyond the toes and haven’t even gotten to my wrists yet. This routine, although short, is intense and gets a good sweat going.

I’m liking the digits and the direction they’re going… having a good effect on my attitude; a psychological boost.

It’s Option #4 day… first day in the gym since Friday 90415!

Round II: [N] – Lunch, park’s 97% (split it into two parts – slow eats.)
Round III: [N] – I’m thinking for O4, close grip pyramids, one arm rows, go heavy, standing military press, heavy/low reps, pull ups close on smith, pull overs, seat db press, if possible.


YMCA – Option #4 Upper body Heavy protocol (low reps) pre-supps:

Close grip press (opted out of the pyramid scheme. Warm ups, then heavy)

140 x 6; 150 x 5; 160 x 2-2-3 [good weight] The whole time I’m doing this I’m remembering how I used to get 235 lbs like this. Ho hum.

Db Pullovers: 70 x 8; 85 x 6; 95 x 4-3-3. Good weight, 100 (YMCA max) probably wouldn’t be that much tougher.

Row 1 arm db: 95 lbs 4 x 5 each.

Military power press (from the rack) 70 x 5; 90 x 5; 100 x 5 110 x 3. NO SHOULDER PAIN – that’s huge!! I’m boosting these up like an Olympic move, I’ll save the steady presses for seated sets.


Barbell Row reverse grip: 140 x 5; 160 x 5; 170 x 5; 180 x 5 – good progression. I can stay with this for a while. Elbows sore.

So much for the heavy stiff – forearm stuff for a while until I get my second wind.

Hi-row, small bar 40 lbs on the bar 4 x 8.

Protein drink, BCAAs – rode to Market, then home.



Home – yogurt, t-burger, tea. Kind of tired but trying to push through to get some chores done. Must park-run tomorrow and maybe vanity @ the Y. biceps, shoulders, calves and such. Upper-upper. Going into hibernation time.

ACV, tea, before bed. Adequate H2O today. Close to 90 oz – 2100 & I could drop off right now. Maybe 30 minutes more.


Summary 9-10-15: This was a dreary gloomy wet day. The kind of day that would happily keep me in the house… I was off from work, no fitness classes… but I had to get my shish together and get this done. I feel like I beat the day. This was the start of a new attitude… working towards more mental toughness something I admittedly lack. Admitting it is the first step in changing it, I suppose – thing is I didn’t even know I was doing it. MIND! 


91015 [Thursday #84] – Long sleep almost 12 hours. Rain and subliminal Spanish lessons made it easy to stay in bed. Hydrated and tea before the AMX & Round I: [NF]

Extended AMX got the 30 burpees done, 45 bridges, 2 sets of plank jack pushups, stretching, waving, rotating, trying to repair the low left back/upper glute tightness (or shortness, as Bergman says). Oh, need to pay more attention to lengthening the psoas. Got toe-touch back stretch done. It was a long one today, typical of an RDO. Took some snaps of sweaty guy evaluating torso.

Digits backed off – I might make the Y today for some upper body sculpting. High reps, low eights. Maybe even get a run in. Ate a lot yesterday and surprised the weight is the same.

Now – time to break this fast.

2 eggs & whites, omelet for breakfast. Vits, another cup of tea. Considering the Y… but more tea.

Round II: [N] – That kind of day – weather. Dreary, rainy and pulling down my energy level. The workout will be at home, but maybe I should step outside first.

2 Mile run down the parkway 30 ish lbs pack (put the chain in the pack) slow and strong. No time. Chocolate peanut butter gainer shake & BCAAs after the run.

Feel like I beat the day (even though I didn’t lift). Better off running than lifting. Maybe move a bit of weight tonight of maybe stretch and balance. Stretching is tough for me and I don’t believe it is as beneficial as weight training. I also know I’m wrong.

Day 7 of 30 burpees. One week down. Still not easy.

Got lamb stew on. No proper dinner, just snacking. Rain returned. Never saw the sun today. Athletically and mentally it’s a win. Y-tomorrow and maybe some Olympic moves… light of course and heavy dead lifts. Modified Option #1. Wonder how the legs will feel after today’s run. I’d better spend more energy conditioning my mental. I think that will bring the body along.

ACV – almost tasted good & chlorella.  Good night.


Summary 9-11-15: Today was huge! I nearly hit the wall, but I didn’t realize I could do this much in a single day. (Second day off) – AMX – Heavy work at the Y – 2 mile run at sunset. Mental toughness!! 

91115 [Friday #85]  - Things cooled off overnight, which made for better sleeping. Woke a bit earlier today feeling good.

AMX included 30 burpees of course, seated toe reach, crunches, twist, stretch, etc.

So far the numbers are very steady. Weight is the same – other values slightly better.

Bkft: lamb stew, chick peas, black eyed peas, carrots, radish, turnip, potato, spicy, but not too much. Pretty good. Thick, so most times I’ll add water. (I think those beans absorbed all the water.)

More stretching and working on 2 pt pushups. This will be tough. More tea.
Round I: [N] –
I’m thinking deadlifts – maybe just a build up instead of ladders. Try to get 350 maybe. See how that feels. Front squat… maybe 4 progress sets, 3 – 6 reps. Overhead squat, bar only and work up. Then some vanity work if I have enough energy. Bring the wraps.

Mental toughness – got to do it. Command the body!!
I’m in a decent looking body that’s functioning well and I’m grateful for that.
Round III: [N] –


YMCA – Option #1: Modified and upgraded. Pre-supps [d-ribose, arg, carn, DHEA, CLA] Protocol – go heavy. Low reps.

Deadlifts: warm up: 250 x 5; 280 x 3;
Showtime – 300 x 2
Big jump to 350; 3 sets of 1. No wraps. Still got this. But what about that other 50 lbs?? no time limit, just small increases.
Promised myself I wouldn’t do more than 5 reps, or go for more than 350.

Solid. Long breaks.

Front Squat – Simple 120 4 x 3, 1 x 5 – once again, slow, deep, low, with a small hold at the bottom for balance.

[Plus] – Calf raises (Smith) 180 x 20; 230 x 15; 250 x 15 + 20; 270 x 15. I can potentially take this to 300(+) if I can stand the weight on my trapz.


Overhead squat – 4 x 5 just the bar and just practice. I think I’ll be a long time at this unless I get help.

Shin flex 55 lbs 4 x 25 – I can feel it better with lower weight. Just keep increasing reps.

90 minutes including stretches and breaks [and consulting with the COO]

Post protein and BCAAs.


Bought myself some gifts at Model’s – tea.

Tow mile run down the pkwy, boots and gloves, no pack. Good start, but exhausted at the end. Still took me 30 minutes. Almost quit, almost hit the wall. Active day. Time for dinner. More lamb stew.

Day 7 of 30 out of 90. I’m going to have to run more often if I’m gonna make this.

AVC – bed… I probably did more stretching, but I was beat down by bed time.




Just a quick note, before I go on with this session. The legs. 

Legs Eval: 9-11-15 YMCA. Getting some definition to them.
  1.   This is a lot like the previous pic, just a day or two apart. i've been after this kind of definition for literally a decade! 
  2.   The  calves are starting to split, but size doesn't come easy to these drumsticks. 
  3.   Quads have benefited from lunges - and i hate lunges, but i love them for this reason... Results! Plus nice definition below the knee. 
  4.   And speaking of the knees... they are more stable and hurt less, generally, since i've been paying more attention to leg work. What  I have been slacking on all these years, is adductor work (squeez 'em) as a result I'm not very flexible through the middle. I'm working on that now.



Summary 9-12-15: 30 burpees in the AMX and that takes so much out of me I don’t get much else done. I spent a lot of time updating this blog and hit the Y for some upper-upper body work. This will have to be a priority since the two shoulder injuries [2008 rt; 2012 lf.] I feel like I’ve slacked off. I have to keep this as well as mental toughness on my mind.


91215 [Saturday #86] – Last day of session 6 – one snooze. Might as well be Monday for me. I wake up with no soreness, but tired from yesterday. Bod is getting stronger I guess.

AMX – highlight, 30 burpees, streak continues (I am better off not counting the days. Maybe I’ll just count when I stop.) 80 lame sidekicks, 30 toe touches, seated. Twists etc. Tea.

Digits: everything is the same as yesterday. Crazy. Maybe a couple of days will see a nudge.
Bkft: lamb soup. (Yeah I know, soup one day, stew another.)
Round I: [N] –
Round II: [NM]  - At the gig.

I’ve had my scale for a year and here are the averages from Sept 2014 to now (Sept. 2015.) So today I’m beating the average. We’ll see what the numbers say at the end of this chapter. All I’m looking for is improvement, since I can no longer count on accuracy. (Inside joke).

Body fat
2014
H2O
Muscle
Ratio
32.3
111.5
79.2
2.45:1
Today



29
112.3
79.8
2.75:1

Round III: [N] – Lunch, Park’s 92% - cole slaw, turkey, salmon, (left overs basically.. ha ha.) and greens.

Round IV: [N] – Split the gig, hit the gym.

YMCA – Upper-Upper. Missed a few, added a few. Decided to focus on the upper chest and above. Light weights, high reps. This is a weak area. Pre-supps.


Incline db Press: 30s – 4 x 15 – I can go higher next time.

Incline Back fly: 20s 4 x 15 – add

Front raise on incline bench. 10 lb plate. 4 x 15 low back “tight’ need more length and flexibility. My ROM sucks on this move, might need an every-other day strategy to improve this.
(super set)
(Plus) – standing, lateral shoulder raises 10 lb. plates. 4 x 10 straight arms. Focused.. do more. 10 is a good weight for now. Don’t rush it.

Standing up-row Olympic Bar no weights: 4 x 15 pretty good results. Maybe add a few plates next round.

Seated bent (more like crouched) fly. 5 lbs x 15: then 3 x 15 w/ 10 lbs plates. Keep good form, don’t bounce.
(super set)
Sledge hammers (shoulders) – 20 4 x 20, slow deliberate, slight back bend. Follow the weights.

EZ Bar from raise.. no weights 4 x 8 focus on negs, but not too slow. Maybe add some 5’s next.

Seated shoulder press 25s. 4 x 10. Stay here. Been a long time since I did these.

Stretches, some other stuff not recorded.

90 minutes; No protein drink, post BCAAs. Maybe a gainer shake at home.


Upper-upper needs more attention. Can this be my goal for Autumn Chapter? The main topic? Get maybe two in a week. Maybe I should be in the gym daily – or at least lifting at home. Session 7 closes the Summer Chapter. I’ve got two weeks to decide.

Research vaso-dialating spices in addition to cayenne.
Trolley’s running – riding home. BTW, cool rainy day, but I was already out for work. Weekend gigging has its advantages.

Gainer/protein shake w/ egg and cayenne and peanut butter, coconut il. Kind of nice. Then the day caught up with me and had to have a couple of breaks. Maybe a late dinner – or not. I’m thinking early to bed, Saturday or not. I think I can get in another day of training tomorrow… then heavy upper body on Monday before YGX.

Psoas stretch/relax (have neglected this recently). This should be done more often. Second wind – blueberries and more tea… and almonds.

ACV, chlorella and good night.

End of session 6.







No comments:

Post a Comment