Monday, August 3, 2015

Session III 71915 – 80115


This is no time for comfort.. go on the Attack!



Survival Protocol
Chapter I: Summer 61915 - 92615



Session III: Evolution

I started weight lifting more seriously while I was in the Navy. I hesitate to refer to it as body building because in my mind that term is reserved for competitive body builders and I was far from that. I learned weight lifting from books and people in the gym. I didn’t bother to study nutrition, never took protein shakes, bars or anything like that and certainly never took steroids. During my five years of active duty I never bench-pressed over 200 lbs. In those days, at least in circle I lifted in, the “bench” was the main indicator of strength. As someone at the YMCA once said, “Nobody asks you how much you curl.”

As life tends to happen, one thing led to another and not only did I fail to maintain my weight lifting regimen, I started eating the typical American diet and gained 60 lbs. (See Session II).

It’s now been more than thirty years since I got out of the Navy and nearly twenty since I picked up the weight lifting habit again. In fact, as I may have mentioned, weight training has led to a mini-career that has put me in the company of aspiring kinesiologists (at the University), exercise science majors and professional fitness (promoters) people who have inspired me to take a more scientific approach to training.

Simply weight-lifting is no longer enough; it’s a combination of strategies that include nutrition, body weight conditioning, yoga, aerobic conditioning (not to be confused with the disco aerobics trend of the 80s), climbing, plyometrics, balance and what they call tactical fitness. Thanks to technology, including the World Wide Web and its spawn (You Tube, especially), fitness information, and thus education is at our finger tips… almost literally. There are lectures on health and nutrition as well as exercise classes, demos and suggestions on over 5,000 channels.

In the 80s, my instruction manual was Muscle & Fitness Magazine, and while I had no honest intention of looking like the cover-boys (or dating the cover-girls), I copied their lifting routines and got satisfactory (at the time) results.
Imagined Cover of my imagined Zine.

Over the past twenty years of doing this, many things have changed. Some exercises that were promoted back in the day have been declared dangerous by some strength coach/trainers and relegated to the reject bin. Saturated fats have gone from being bad for us, back to being good for us and the government’s food pyramid has been accused of being misleading for the sake of grain profits, to the detriment of our collective health. In the years since I enlisted “dis-eases” like heart disease, diabetes and “obesity” have risen to the point that one lecturer has declared our society as “the sickest society the world have ever known.”  

Since becoming a certified personal trainer, my fitness regimens as well as my philosophies have changed due to a combination of information and experience. There is probably as much misinformation in the health and fitness game (ahem, I mean industry) as there is information. Not every strategy to say, lose (fat) weight, gain muscle or enhance one’s internal numbers (cholesterol levels, etc.) will work for every person. Sage advice for one can be benign for the next, so it can be a matter of trial and error.

In the past 4 to 6 months, I seem to have hit on something that’s been working for me. Despite the crazy numbers recorded on my charts, I feel like I’ve made great improvements on my physique. I’ve also, after decades of neglect, begun tweaking my diet as much, if not more than I adjust my weight lifting regimens. What I do exercise-wise is, and has long been fairly on point, with the addition of attention to nutrition detail.

One of the most important pieces of the puzzle is attitude. I’d gotten a little lax in the last session, but when the weight started to get heavy, I got a bit concerned that I might fail a set and have to repeat it. I had to put some aggression into my workout. Being laid back is pretty cool most of the time, but not when you’re under attack. That’s the way I have to think and approach each one of my Option workouts. Survival Protocol. Attack Stance.

Now on to Session III…


This week was bad. Not only did I hit my upward limit in body weight, but also came close to the dreaded 18% body fat. And of course, I’m wondering what could be happening physiologically. Two things have changed, 1) more protein shakes after workouts… like immediately after, then two more meals, but not always… sometimes it’s one meal. 2) sore throat – it seemed minor because it didn’t erupt into anything like the flu symptoms I’ve gotten in the past, but it was an annoyance and perhaps the body had to deal with it by slowing down the fat metabolism. These are just theories of course. I don’t know enough about the body’s systems to say without a doubt. I think the throat issue is finally over with – this would be day 21, which is generally how long these quasi-illnesses have hung on in the recent past. All the numbers in this chart are red – this has been RED WEEK! One final note – muscle mass increased, but the ration dropped.

Day
Sunday
7-19
Monday
7-20
Tuesday
7-21
Wednesday
7-22
Thursday
7-23
Friday
7-24
Saturday
7-25
Ave.
Weight
183.4
183.4
181.6
182.8
185.2
185.2
184
183.6
Body Fat %
17.6
17.2
17.3
17.4
17.9
17.9
17.7
17.6
BF wt.
32.28
31.54
31.42
31.81
33.15
33.15
32.57
32.31
H2O %
60.3
60.6
60.5
60.4
60
60
60.2
60.3
H2O wt
110.59
111.14
109.87
110.41
111.12
111.12
110.77
110.71
Muscle mass %
42.8
43
43
42.8
42.6
42.6
42.7
42.8
Muscle wt.
78.5
78.86
78.09
78.42
78.9
78.9
78.57
78.6
MM:BF
ratio
2.43
2.5
2.49
2.47
2.38
2.38
2.41
2.43





Summary 7-19-15: starting the next 30 days of this Chapter. Option #3 today, my favorite. Legs came through strong. Doing a good bit of walking too, which is good, because it keeps me out in the sun. I’m pretty sure it’s beneficial.




71915 [Sunday #31] – 2x snooze – might as well just get up at 0418. I have to try and beat the snooze. It’s hard to get up in the summer.

Round I:
AMX is lacking, but I jumped around with the bands, did some shadow boxing with small weights – lots of back stretching. I’ve slacked off on the “Hard Stuff” but I can get it back. Option #3 today.. heavy legs. Got the proper sneaks today.

Weigh in – same as yesterday. [see chart] – Going the wrong way on the ratio, but August is coming and we’ll make that a burn  month. I’ll have to declare a 30 day something, although in actuality I’m not bad off. I seem to be getting more muscular, (and I realize I’ve been doing this in every session. The ongoing debate between the numbers, the actual strength and the appearance. I need to stop.)

Okay. Tea.. although I don’t think I really wanted it.
Breakfast – turkey soup.. mostly broth and it’s spicy. Not the open nose spicy, but the back of the throat spicy. The kind that makes you sweat out the toxins. I think this is my favorite soup. I may make lamb or goat stew from time to time but this is the best. Maybe I’ll do a chicken at some point.

Lunch: Tootsie’s 75% Sunday mix, chicken, feta, kale, cabbage. (eat later).

Option #3 – think I’ll add 20 lbs to the squats and goo off the rack. The back is stronger now, even if I have to work up to 4 x 15. Leg press and calf pulses and front lunges (just 80 lbs) and shin flex and maybe lunge squats.

Round III:
To the Y – Hot azz day! Hottest part of the day.


Option #3: Heavy Legs – pre-supps. No set protocol, except we’re going for 4 sets of 15 reps and that may have to be adjusted as I am getting close to maxing what I can do with the leg presses, but that’s for later:

Inverted Leg press [Smith] – 340 lb on the bar. 4 x 15 presses and 4 x 40 calf presses [super set] – Perfect weight, made the challenge so (back to) 4 plates (360 lbs) next round.

Squats (back) – 120 lbs. 4 x 15 – good weight and good form. I can rock 140 lbs next, but may have to slow it down after that. I have allowed myself to forget when I’d do 50 reps of 250 lbs., but those days will return, probably around late fall early winter.

Shin Flex (super setted  these with back squats) 70 lbs (mystery weight) 4 sets 30-25-20-30. I just do as many of these as possible.

Front Lunges 80 lbs (barbell) 4 x 20 was the goal but it looked more like a set of 10 then 3 x 12 my knee hit the floor during the last set.. ugh. Anyway, the other part of this is holding the bar properly and steadily so there are a few things going on here. Staying at 80 til I get all 4 sets done.

No time for the lunge squats… Legit or excuse? Hard to say.

I think this was a satisfying episode. The major movement will be on the squats. Maxing the leg press is just a matter of muscle memory. I’m not sure I’ve done more than 15 reps of more than 150 lbs and certainly not 225. That will be the challenge, but I should be able to ease my way up to that weight.

Post protein drink, BCAA’s. walk to the 42 bus. Apple. Home. Meal – 3 Turkey soup.
Meal 4 – salmon salad and iced tea @Tria avec le Llama.

Tea – better get the chl & acv before I nod. Off tomorrow. Hard stuff and extended fast. Mix the elixir.





Summary 7-20-15 – Day off from work and no lifting scheduled, but oh yeah, a pushups day and Functional Fitness at the Y. I was super energized at Y today, crediting the elixir I mixed up. Also tried to push the fast until noon.. I made it, but I’m not sure I want to be fasting – yet. It may be necessary to test my discipline at some point.


72015 [Monday #32] –  Day off slept in… fasting til noon. Liquid fast that is. Got the pushups in 4 x 37 – almost forgot. They were strong today. May get more hard stuff in throughout the day. I plan to catch up on chores, but we know how that goes. I may get a few tasks completed. So far tea and coconut H2O and oh yeah, wake up psoas stretch. (So many ways to work the legs).

Round I:
Made 40 – 50 oz elixir.. a day’s worth, but I won’t be fasting all day.

Round II:
Getting hungry. Usually having lunch by this time. Tea.
Weight in – Numbers are okay. Nothing special. Breakfast Turkey soup and kale.

Round III: [NF]
Round IV: [N] gainer shake, lunch-ish. YGX today it’s another hot one. Got the home gym tidied up.

I think the soreness is the throat is finally gone… 15 days, I think it went for… over a beer. I haven’t had a beer since.

Walk to the bus station. 100 breaths during the bus ride (count breaths backwards from 100, keeps my mind off the other passengers’ dumb shit).

Excellent YGX!! Felt energetic and strong. Give thanks to the elixir or source or energy or whatever and all.

Walk to the 42 full pack (coconut H2O)

Dinner – spicy hearts, turnips, spinach… maybe put too much cayenne in this dish. So go and burn fat. I’m on a mission!!

This could be psychic or something – throat flared up AGAIN. Have to pay more attention.. see if there are triggers.

Chlorella and AVC… write & imagine. What will I do in 17? months.

Good night. 


Summary 7-21-15: Temple day and the gig. Just one day off. I feel like there’s a fog around me. I am seeking change, but I’m not sure how to prepare for it. I should be lifting today but had to adjust the schedule to accommodate GX at TU, but that’s okay… another day of cardio. I’ll hit the iron tomorrow. Went without tea for as long as I could. I may have imagined a headache or maybe it was real. Anyway I thought I’d better have a cup before GX… just in case.




72115 [Tuesday #33] – Wake, 1 snooze, 1 psoas stretch snooze. Up and exercising. No real routine. Jump around with the bands, shadow box with weights. Worked with ski pipes and did 2 x 3 bridge pushups.

Round I:



Elixir was the first drink during AMX. That actually filled me up. Figured I’d follow up with a gainer fruit shake (came out more like pudding) and couldn’t finish it.



Round II: Not sure whether I have a caffeine headache or not. I don’t really feel hungry (as I munch my trail mix. I think this is out of habit.)



Round III: [SS] go to lunch. Park’s 80% turkey, chicken, salmon etc.



Knockin’ back the H2O today. Maybe my morning routine needs to change. I don’t want a gainer shake for breakfast, so maybe – elixir and a small bowl of soup? Tea? Yes or no? TUGX today, so I’ll be eating out again. The Horse? But only two more weeks.

Round IV [SS] – headed to Temple – hope today can be as hype as yesterday. Hammies are sore, up high. Throat is playing up… my fault for focusing on it. Dull head… could be in my head – ha ha or caffeine jones. (I think too much.)

TUGX energetic, fun, no cramps in the calves. (had to throw that in, a few times during the stretch I catch one in my right, lower towards the ankle.) I guess the legs came around. I noticed, pretty much, I have to leap into a burpee, because my thighs are tight, probably due to squats, thigh flexibility is down.

Meal – NE Clam chowder at the Horse. Unexpected surprise.

Good aqua, still energetic. Shouldn’t need another meal tonight, just elixir. Maybe some planks. I should be working on side planks now that the shoulder is better. No planks.. opted for foam rolling for the thighs was the call. Chlorella and ACV before calling it a night.


Summary 7-2215: Option #3, made it past the 70 lbs barrier on the seated shoulder press. Still have to therapy the left shoulder between sets, but it’s getting stronger. Otherwise a fairly basic day. Oh yeah, I had to consciously change my attitude about training. I seemed to have lost or buried that aggressive edge I had… Time to go on the attack!


72215 [Wednesday #34] – When the alarm goes on and I open my eyes, I have to tell myself whether I can shut the alarm off for good, or just hit the snooze. Last night was a great sleep. No music and I was aware of the sound of the fan. Today is a pushup day. The morning exercise session centered around getting 4 sets of 38 pushups done. My confidence is at about 6 or 7 out of 10 and I can’t (or haven’t yet) figured out why I don’t attack these with more gusto (I’m not feeling the Survival Protocol theme). An attitude adjustment is needed. I feel more relieved when I complete the sets than accomplished.

The balance consisted of stretching, twisting torso, head/neck and shoulders.

No soreness in the throat when I get up, but it comes soon after. Coming up on three weeks, which is how long the sickness lasted last time; only it was more intense, with more symptoms. I can imagine my immune system is stronger this time around and squashed the other stuff like runny nose, cough and more intense throat pain.

Weigh in. the numbers… I have no control. I’m just freewheeling, but still keeping an eye on things. I look better in the mirror that I do on paper. But as previously noted, the goals I set have no precedent in my fitness history. It’s possible that a 3:1 ratio isn’t possible or healthy for me. Not that I’m giving up – I can’t exist on paper at the expense of real life. I’m getting strong again. So far I’m not (by weight lifting standards) as strong as I’ve ever been, but I seem to be leaner and more muscular than ever… so I’ll take that for now.

Round I: - Go to work. Hammies are sore/tight and kept my pace slow up the El steps.

Option #4 today – I get to move weight and do pushups. I wonder if dips would fit into this protocol. I think I can move the close grip and row to 100 lbs. (I was imagining 110, but stay focused and with the plan). Also add skull crushers maybe? O-4 is heavy on vanity work. Lookig at close grip, reverse grip row, seated shoulder press, pull ups, shrugs, ez curls and that other stuff if I have time and energy.

I think I can move close grip to 100 lbs. (I was imagining 110 lbs, but stay with the plan.) also skull crushers, maybe? O-4 is heavy on vanity work. Looking at Close grip, reverse grip, seated bb press, pull ups, shrugs, ez curls. I skipped the last exercise last time – so maybe I won’t have time (energy) for the others.

Lunch – Park’s 94%, turkey etc.

Round II [N] – late – headed to the Y. Been kind of eh! Today. Might be in a low biorhythmic phase or something.


Option #4: YMCA Vanity (Upper Body). Standard protocol, with an attitude adjustment. Pre-supps.. Let’s go ATTACK!!

Close grip Press: 100 lbs. 4 x 15 done!

Reverse grip bent row – 100 lbs. 4 x 15 done! Mind the negative. Wrist curls and turns between sets, helps keep the elbows from hurting.

Seated shoulder press – 70 lbs. 4 x 5 done.. BLAM!! This was a real win! Proper done. Get to go to 75 lbs finally. It took two rotations to conquer this, as well as shoulder work between sets. (Might be the self-talk too.)

Pull ups – neutral grip on a proper pull up thing. 4 x 9, the elbows got a little sore and my legs were hangin’. I figure I stay on this gizmo for a while and go back to the close grip on the smith.

EZ Curls 45 lbs (on bar) + Triceps press (behind the neck) 40 lbs db. Super sets, 4 x 15 done. Stay at this wt. for curls, as there was too much rocking. I alternated between a close and wide grip for this one.

Barbell shrugs – 120 lbs. 4 x 15, done! Alternate in and out grip, and up and down chin. I can take this up to 140 next

Bent db flys – 30 lbs. 4 x 15. Should advance to 35 lbs next time, but glad I stayed at 30 this week. I got a surge of energy after the shrugs!! Yeah baby!!


Protein shake & BCAA’s after – walk to the bus.

Home – elixir & meal 32 turkey soup. Think I’ll have tea. Hmmm, meal 3… is it necessary? No feeling the 3rd meal.

2x Tea – finish up and call it a day. (Chlorella and ACV) g’nite.

 
 

Summary 7-23-15: subbed aqua aerobics today at TU. It was fun, pool full of Asian kids who didn’t understand much English. Other than that, nothing much – the morning exercise. Been sleeping really well lately… and the throat – well I don’t really need to go there. Oh yeah – the numbers jumped – gained almost 3 lbs. and trying not to figure out why. I’d say it’s muscle, but the numbers say otherwise, yet the mirror says muscle! Who to believe? Just keep going.


72315 [Thursday #35] –  Cool wake up. Low 60s. I could smell the dew when I got up. Double snooze… but more like lying awake waiting for the alarm to play again. Random haphazard morning exercise. Cup of tea and decided to extend the fast til work. Trail mix for breakfast.

2 Rounds [HF] before I left the house.
Weigh in – the digits are way in the red zone. I’ve reached my 185 limit and in fact surpassed it. Not sure what caused it. Probably food needs to metabolize (usually a two-day process.) Had a great workout yesterday and the clothes still fit. I just don’t want the weight to get out of hand. And by weight I mean fat.

Today I made guacamole and brought elixir to the gig to sip on. Time to buy more H2O, too (by which I mean I need a new bottle. One of these days I’ll get one of those environmentally correct thermoses.) I may have left my last bottle at the bus stop. Been keeping fairly active at work – forearm work and leg/glute stretches daily for maybe the last week.

Oh, I may have gotten close to meditating this morning and closer to lotus pose as well. Did some ski-pipe stuff, I can feel the difference.
 
Random Flashback - Jan 2012
Round III: [MS] – I feel like I came through the fog this morning. Don’t know what it was. Dare I mention, no sore throat today… without jinxing myself?

Lunch – park’s 89% (guacamole too)

Round IV: [D/SS]
Got home from the gig and got some yard work done and wasn’t hungry. Drank bottle 2 of the elixir, so maybe that’s why. 90 – 100 minutes can go by quickly.

Round V: [HS] – subbing aqua today. We’ll see if hunger stays away. I think it will, but I have seaweed, just in case. (Picked up the H2O and 2 cheese sticks for fuel).

Aqua was fun, 10 people in the pool, 1 spoke/understood English – we still got it done.

Elixir, peanut butter (2 scoops), tea, chlorella and too much time on FB.

Tomorrow – pushups, the gig, Option #1 again. Just going ahead and put 120 on the bar and start advancing 20 lbs or stay where I am. The back is better so I can move a little faster. (See how things change?) Friday should be a good day to lift. Might even stay a bit longer. Got thrusters to attack too.. still at 70lbs there.

Okay, that is all; ZZZZZZZZZ! 




Summary 7-24-15: This is the second day this week I’m doing pushups in the morning (4 x 39) and lifting after work – and handling it. I don’t know why I have such doubts. They seem to have crept into my psyche and must be defeated. Anyway today was an Option day and they are always good. I got a little beastly after the required exercises. Maybe there was more to that sore throat than I thought.



72415 [Friday #36] – The usual. After a good sleep, deep sleep. I’m giving thanks to the stones/crystals and the weather. I’m going to have to start telling myself to wake up strong. It’s worked before.

 4 x 39 pushups – made it. It wasn’t hard, but my mind isn’t right. Tea.

Weigh in – same as yesterday. Copy and paste.

Bkft – Turkey soup.

Round I & II: [HN]

Lunch – Park’s 77% - fairly normal day so far. Down times sap my energy. Gym time. Maybe a little meditation on the train. The more weight I add the more sore I feel… duh! Right? Once I get passed 100 – on the strong stuff, the less I’ll add. Good to have that option.

Round IV: [SS] YMCA – poppin’


Option #1 – Top of the order. Pre-supps. The standard protocol has been replaced. I can’t keep the same weight or the same sets/reps – but I’m working towards them-  Here we go:

Romanians – 120 lbs. 4 x 15 – done! Felt the weight. Semi-easy, but only going to 130 next.. 140 can wait. Wrist work between sets, I can feel the weight pull on my elbows. (I wonder if elbows have something to do with being shaped like an “L”?)

Thrusters – 70 lbs. 12-10-12-10. I felt kind of lazy on this exercise, got chills near the 10th rep, so only pushed it a little more. I’ve got time to get to 15. Shoulder was holding up, but still did shoulder therapy between sets. Staying at 70 lbs.

Lunges – 80 lbs, slow and steady. 4 x 16 and staying at this weight. I could feel the core stability improving. Psoas... I still feel it.

Leg Curls – 135 + brick: 2 x 15, 2 x 12. The first two sets went well, then things got tough. I’ll be at this weight for a while. But when I can do it, I’ll know I’ve gotten stronger.

Single leg lunges, elevated [SLLE] – 20 lbs dbs. 3 x 10 each. A good stabilizing exercise that I should do more of… now that it’s getting easier.

Anti rotation torso work with the cable. 50 lbs. two sets.
Rotation torso work as well, 50 lbs. cable.

Post protein shake & BCAAs – just over an hour. Walk to the bus (slow cardio)


Fruit smoothie at home and turkey soup.

Mix the elixir for tonight and tomorrow. Trying to extend the fast until noon tomorrow, (or 1100).

Psoas stretch before bed, but no usual ritual. I did knock back two glasses of the elixir.

PS: what’s the deal with this semi-stuffy nose? Throat? Not very sore – but I can feel where the soreness was. 




Summary 7-25-15: 7th anniversary of Dad’s departure. Funky Luau this evening. No lifting scheduled. I will probably drink, but the real test is to watch the eating. The AM exercise was a little more vigorous. I’m revving up to August – cardio (burn) month. 



72515 [Saturday #37] –  Wake, 1 snooze – feeling kind of headachy and of course wondering why. Elixir? Anyway…



Round I: [HN] – Immediately, cup of tea first thing.



AMX – a little more vigorous, added some burpees, but slow and only 5, preparing for august.

Weigh in: 184 – 17.7 – 60.2 – 42.7 (Old school)
Breakfast – fruit smoothie
Round II: [NC]: Trying a mini fast today with the elixir – one bottle (13.5 oz) done, but already feeling hungry. (I got t-mix with me, so this may or may not work out.)

Cracked the second bottle of elixir – getting hungry 0900 – two more hours. No gym scheduled today. Fram time @ the funky luau. The elixir is weaker than before. Have to adjust the recipe (or maybe I’m getting used to it. I could probably stand more cayenne.)

Part I of this session could end with me a little rummy.

Round III: skipping lunch, but finished the trail mix. Seaweed is next I guess.
About time to head out. T-mix and seaweed, so semi-work/liquid fast.
Meal 1 – 1530-ish turkey soup & blueberries.

Luau – The Funky Luau ate chicken and lamb, drank rum and water. Vibed with the fram. No pre-sleep stuff before bed.. 0100 – relatively early. Can’t remember the last time I saw 3 am… but I wake up at 4am daily (or there abouts). Good night.
 

SESSION III – Part two

This week’s chart is boring, but I refuse to allow it to get depressing. At some point this week I started taking coconut oil [CO] shots in the morning. I expect it to taste bad, but it doesn’t. It seems to cut the appetite though, but it hasn’t had any effect on the numbers – as of yet. Time is the constant in all of these ‘experiments’. Three days isn’t enough to evaluate, more like 3 sessions would be a more appropriate time period. I’m going to paint this whole chart red. I don’t want the red zone to become normal. But maybe it already is; the average fat weight for this year is almost 32 lbs. So maybe the low fat weight days are the unusual readings. I wonder if intermittent fasting can be a way of life for me.  

Day
Sunday
7-26
Monday
7-27
Tuesday
7-28
Wednesday
7-29
Thursday
7-30
Friday
7-31
Saturday
8-1
Ave.
Weight
183
182
182
182
182
182
182
182.1
Body Fat %
17.4
17.3
17.5
17.7
17.5
17.7
17.3
17.5
BF wt.
31.84
31.49
31.85
32.21
31.85
32.21
31.49
31.86
H2O %
60.4
60.5
60.3
60.2
60.3
60.2
60.5
60.3
H2O wt
110.53
110.11
109.75
109.56
109.75
109.56
110.11
109.8
Muscle mass %
42.9
43
42.9
42.7
42.9
42.7
43
42.8
Muscle wt.
78.51
78.26
78.08
77.71
78.08
77.71
78.26
77.94
MM:BF
ratio
2.47
2.49
2.45
2.41
2.45
2.41
2.49
2.45






Summary 7-26-15: got up early, passed out again, but got the workout in. brunch with the Fram and Option #2 at the Y. over reached a bit and now I have a decision to make. More later…


72615 [Sunday #38] – Wake 0630… and hit the mats. There was a slight headache and I was concerned about a hangover...  but I still had to train. Some cardio and shoulder and neck work. 4 x 40 pushups… every ten is a milestone for me. They went well. I’ve gt a long way to go before I find myself in familiar territory.

Option #2 today. Thinking 1600-ish Aksum, after brunches and catch-up time is over.

I’m thinking, as my body returns to its natural state of health, my numbers return to normal. No sore throat this morning and I can’t even feel any residual soreness. Fascinating. An interesting chart would be to compare a random three week period, with three weeks of back recovery and three weeks of sore throat recovery… [dropped off to sleep as I was writing this… 2 – 3 hour nap].  I may have to make this chart during some down time if I remember. It would be good for a presentation.

Today; brunch w/ the fram. Then O-2, prepare. Tea, the nap, extended fast.

Meal – Aksum, salmon omelet 1 potatoes.
One round so far.

Round II: [SS] YMCA


Option #2 – this is a protocol option, but it looks like it’s beginning to crumble.

Incline press 110 lbs. 5 – 6 – 7 – 10 w/ shoulder work in between. I was shocked and unprepared; it seems, by the weight. Looks like I’ll be here for a while. The upper-upper was clickin’ and snappin’ I thought maybe I was just weak today. (Maybe it was the rum.) Note – I later discovered that instead of 110 lbs I should have been at 95 – 100 at the most. Now the question is, do I go back or keep at 110 until I get 15 reps. Either way I am progressing slowly. This will be *discussed later.

Bent row – 110 lbs. 4 x 15 – Just making the reps. May increase by 5 of 10 lbs, or might be stronger by next time around.

Flat bench Press – 110, 4 x 15, wrist work b/w sets. I am strong here despite being shaken by the incline struggle. 120 next?

Lat Pull down – 90 lbs cable 4 x 15 done. First set was easy as usual, it’s usually a false sense of security. Last 3 were tough, ut easier than previous sets. Stronger – go to 97.5 [add a brick].

Rotations & anti rotations for core stability. 60 lbs cable. Anti – 6 – 8 – 8 each side. Rotations 12 & 16.

Done – 75 minutes: pre-supps and post protein shake. Walk to bus.

*I feel like I screwed up my progression by making that big jump today. It actually worked out well for the bent row and bench press, but the incline is another story. What I’m concerned about is my connective tissue keeping up with the progress of my muscle strength. Do I stay or do I return? At this point I am leaning towards going back, mainly because I don’t go back, as a rule and that attitude could be detrimental. I can drop back to 95 or even 100, and still advance on the other exercises. It would also keep my body-mind used to getting 15 reps. I will have to make it a point to keep this decision in mind next time Option #2 comes around.

Tea… meal – turkey soup.. this could be the last meal [1900] of the day. Time to make more elixir.

Finished up the elixir and passed out – no sleep rituals, it was only supposed to be a nap.


Summary 7-27-15: I may have started my coconut oil era today. YGX was good, I’m at about 60% participation and the Lion is coming back. I was weak for a while.

72715 [Monday #39] – Long sleep. Off day. Not sure whether I’ll get to AMX… yet as I write this I’m feeling compelled, by habit, to do something. Psoas stretch @ wake up.

No trace of the sore throat 9obsessing). First tea. Today’s agenda – YGX, chores, make the elixir and probably need to get more supplies. OK (0808) – let’s get started: Survival Protocol.

Round I: AMX
Eat sweat returns 30 – 40 minutes. Coconut oil [1 tbs] pre- session. Good sweat. Shower & weigh in next.
Numbers are making a comeback down a couple lbs. in the last few days. Maybe the digits are returning to normal.

Meal – chicken hearts & kale and elixir after (new batch).

Running start to august – add more coconut oil to my life, internal 7 external. Morning shot of CO? evening ACV? Having elixir today too. Need more supplies.

15 – 20 minute psoas stretch/nap/meditation.

Meal – t-burger, tomatoes, scallions and egg. Haven’t had eggs in a while. YGX next. Good thing too. Been in all day, but I think I made progress.

Round II: probably walk to 6-9

Round III: YMCA

YGX – was good, energetic and strong. I’ve been feeling like I’m hungry despite having eaten, well. Worrying that I’d run out of food when I have plenty of fat to burn for fuel. So, no snack and no protein drink after the session. I did have the pre-supps. Planning a gainer shake when I get home. Configuring in my mind the coconut oil strategy. Short of carrying it with me. I think I can start the day with a shot.

BTW – walk to the bus, via the market. (Coconut H2O always makes my pack a little heavier for the walk.)

La Casa: gainer fruit shake. Tea, elixir. No proper dinner… scoop of peanut butter.

Chlorella and AVC.

I may have started my coconut oil era today. Let’s see how it progresses. Let’s see if the weight drops below 180, now that the throat is back to normal. Let’s also see if the MM:BF ratio starts to rise again, since I am pushing heavier weights, and very consistently too.

Tomorrow: TUGX, last session of the 14-15 season. Tuesdays off for a month. Two days in a row of no lifting… ok… Wednesday, Option #3, that’s heavy legs so I can use the two days off. Remember to check the weights before I jump in… however I should be back to using 360 lbs on the smith. And wear the right shoes too…. Maybe I’ll go heavier on the shin flex, and stay steady on the front lunges. Maybe I can add some db lunges somewhere.

That’s all. G’nite.. Z





Summary 7-28-15: Last sessons of the semester at Temple. It was pretty good.. super-worked our legs. 12 hour fast (overnight). Some coconut oil results, and 4 x 41 pushups. Just one more…



72815 [Tuesday #40] – Pre-wake, up before the alarm. Pretty good sleep too. Psoas stretch (snooze) then up for AMX. Cals and 4 x 41 pushups. Had to really get psyched for the last set.

Round I: @ wake up. Coconut oil shot, coconut H2O during exercise and cup of tea… out of habit.

AMX wore me out, but it could be something else. Will coconut oil benefit me first thing? Do I have to get used to it?

The numbers went in the “right” direction today.

Round II [LS] & III [LP] – quick succession, a battle combo.

Lunch Park’s 89% - Turkey, chicken, salmon etc w/ dbl broc and cauli.


Some exercises I should add in the coming months:

Front squats – I’m kind of covering this with thrusters, but with proper frontzees off the rack I can get more power and might even improve my thrusters.

Proper deadlifts – but should I go for 15 reps? That for light to moderate weights. I should probably incorporate a heavy, low reps day towards the end of the summer (chapter).

Reverse grip bench press – this can be a 15 rep exercise I start with the bar with. I can fold this into an existing Option, I think.

Single arm dumbbell row – heavy day. I need more back. I’m encourages especially since it’s starting to show.

Skullies – I can incorporate this into something already too.



Overhead Squats – I do these during group exercise classes, but I should add with barbells.

Dumbbell power snatches – Just need to remember to add it. 

This is enough for another Option. Maybe I should stick with and improve what I got. Maybe I should push the options (Quantum progression) for the rest of the year, then evaluate and adjust. Some of these I have in mind are redundant.


Round IV: [DLP] Post lunch action. Right on time. The CO might be making a difference. I think I need more lemons.

TUGX – finale. Pre-supps. It was okay today, but kind of low energy on my part. Maybe all those… well, don’t think about it.

Meal – chicken Caesar salad, horse & H2O

Good group at the pool to finish up.

Home and fast – no solid food for 12 hrs. starting at 1730. Elixir, coconut H2O, tea. Not feeling hungry but NRG is down. (It can be down towards bed time.)

Note – big bug bite scratch lump on right foot. This has happened before and I scratched it into this big swollen monster. (There’s a pic somewhere). Anyway, this time around I will use coconut oil, which seems to have as many benefits as Apple Cider Vinegar. We’ll keep an eye on it.

Let’s see if there’s a significant difference in the digits tomorrow.  Speaking of which, O-3, Heavy Legs at the Y after work. Looking fwd to a nice break from TU.

Chlorella, ACV, shower, bed! 






Summary 7-29-15: Pretty much a regular day, but after the gig… Option #3, heavy legs and it was beautiful! I added some extra upper body work. I am moving some real weight now at this Option.


72915 [Wednesday #41] – Despite being super tired I got up after one snooze. I can’t even claim AMX today, unless lying on the floor and getting up counts. I felt the force of gravity “pushing” me down.

Despite yesterday’s activity, detox and a 12 hours (+) fast, fat weight is up, muscle down. Body weight stays the same. Clearly the ratio is down as well. But the gut seems to be getting tighter, once again… maybe my numbers don’t correlate to what I’m seeing.

First thing – shot of CO and coconut H2O and tea. Note the “fast” was liquid, no solid food or protein shake.

O-3 today. Heavy legs, proper foot gear. Weather says 94 today.

Bkft – turkey (but has no turkey left) soup.

The theory of fat increasing due to the sore throat is looking shaky. Another big fat wt increase today.

The numbers are so bad I think I should return to what I was doing. Ironically, however, I’m walking more; lifting more consistently; eating… is that better? are the protein drinks enabling the fat? Maybe I shouldn’t renew the container. Yet, as I’m complaining about the numbers, my pants are loose to the point that I should actually get new, smaller ones. Measuring day is next session. Hold off on any major change until then. (That’s why I keep track.)

Round I: [SS] gig CO!
Lunch – Park’s 94% [t-c-s] 2x b&c

Round II: [N]

O-3: Leg press 360, squats 140, Front lunges 80, Can I add upper body to this? Reverse press bb; calf in between everything.

Round III: YMCA O-3 here we go. Pre supps.
*Lost my notes, so I’ll have to exercise my memory – shouldn’t be tough.. it’s a routine, routine and I had no difficulties. (Then I found my notes and I was right.)


Option #3 – Heavy Legs – and some other goodies:

Leg Press (process) Smith Machine, including calf presses (same wt.) + weightless calf raises. 360 lbs. 4 x 15 (legs); 4 x 30 calves. DONE!! 380 next time. *Smith maxes at 400 lbs. so I’ll have add extra reps/sets in a few weeks.

Squats + shin flex [super sets] – 140 lbs 4 x 15 challenging, but 150 lbs next time around. Shins, 85 lb db. 4 x 15 can add reps next time.

Front lunge bb 80 lbs. 4 x 10 – still a bit wobbly, could be from fatigue, still sticking with this weight.

Reverse Grip bench press 80 lbs. 4 x 15: Tke it to 90 lbs next time, if I do it again. Right shoulder a bit sore during the lifts, did some therapy last round.

Jump squats – 25 lbs dbs. 4 x 15 – exhausting, but got’em done. I can use 30 lbs next time.

Reverse shoulder raises: 20 lbs 4 x 20 (total)

Anti-Rotation – 60 lbs cable 10 each.


Protein drink after and BCAAs. Rode home. It was hot-hot!!

Didn’t feel like eating at home. Don’t force it. Coconut oil shot, elixir, pineapples & berries, scoop of peanut butter. Maybe no tea. I think the CO cuts the appetite. This could be one of those early nights. I feel accomplished yet drained. I may just have enough energy to take my chlorella before bed.

Oh, foot itches now, but the CO seems to have kept it under control most of the day.

I got a second wind. Little energy burst – so I’m gonna have tea, sweat out some toxins, shower and bed down. Chlorella.. done. CO on the foot. Zedz!!





Summary 7-30-15: this was every bit a break day and kind of a fast day as well… ok not really, but I had my last solid meal around noon and didn’t get hungry until after sundown. I finished the night with a casein protein & fruit shake with cayenne. Maybe could have used a bit more pepper. I’ll work on that recipe.


73015 [Thursday #42] –  Double snooze. I dreamed I was on a train and had trouble breathing; my throat was constricted. I couldn’t tell dream from reality. Maybe the tether got tangled. The train was in a tunnel.

Anyway, woke up, got some loosening movement done and knocked out 4 x 42 pushups. Still on the climb. Thinking about 50. Oh, yeah – CO, first thing.. a shot. Bug bite on foot, the swelling has gone down. Kind of itchy, but not much. Kudos to CO… cup of tea. Let’s get started.

I am counting every day of work… just making myself miserable. [that’s too strong, I’m not really that bad off, just bored.]

No lifting today, but will probably do a little more exercise. It’s a hot one already.

Round I: [N] – I should add overhead squats to one of my options [I added this to the list.]

Bkft – fruit gainer shake. Not hungry, probably due to the CO  shot. But I feel funny after about an hour, I guess. But it does suppress the appetite.

Maybe that dream wasn’t a dream. Throat feels funny… clogged with slight coughing and clearing. [Pardon the quasi-obsession, I’m trying to be super conscious of what The Bod’s doing so I can head off any internal insurrections in the future.]

Round II: [NM] – CO – [at work] or chlorella, or the combo.

Round II: [N] – Park’s lunch 90%

Round IV: [N] –

Pretty much came straight home from the gig – no hunger. I thought I’d work in the park, but it rained. Usually seems to be the case. 2x tea, finished the elixir and downed some coco-H2O. I munched on almonds and blueberries. Got some chores done. Worked the shoulders with light weights and bands. Got a bit hungry late and made a casein protein shake w/ pineapple and strawberries and cayenne & CO. Then the nite ritual, inc. chlorella.

O-4 tomorrow – upper body/vanity. Legs are a bit sore from yesterday, but only a little bit. Really took it easy today. Semi-fast, hunger was at bay. G’nite.





Summary 7-31-15 Closing the door on July. There’s a Blue moon in the sky tonight.. it was pretty intense too. Option #4 today, pushed it to the top… took a child step in increasing weights… the results? We’ll see them around the end of next month. With all the pushups and lifting I’ve been doing I should see & feel some significant changes, even if they don’t show up on the scale.


73115 [Friday #43] – Double snooze. Weak wake, energy is low despite full moon in aquarius. Ran in place, some jax, stretch.

CO-shot, cocoH2O, Tea.

Round I: [N] –
Numbers, steady but not where I want them.
Breakfast – turket soup.. done.

Round II: [L] –

July was not the best of months, numbers wise. I gained both fat and muscle weight, but the ratio came down. As far as the look… I’ll take some pix to see. On the other hand, I progressed through the month hitting the pushups every other day consistently and progressing by 1 pushup per set.  2 July I was at 4 x 28. 30 July I was at 4 x 42. That regimen must have done some good. Okay, so maybe July wasn’t such a bad month. Focus on the positive. The digits probably don’t mean that much. In fact I am going to test my scale. I have a suspicion about the way it calculates.

O-4 today and I think I want to push things a bit. Close grip and reverse rows 100? 115? Seated shoulder press – 75 lbs definitely… conservative. Proper shrugs, curls 45 again and bent flies 35s… maybe lunge squats or some other leg work. Maybe I’ll add  some other leg work and some of those power moves.

Round III: [N] – to the Y – Happy hour.


Option #4 – I pushed it to a point where I have to slow down and work my way up to the 15 reps. Good! It makes everything else seem like a long warm up. I’ve been expecting this. Pre-supps taken. Warm ups done.

Close grip bench press: 115 lbs: 15 – 10 – 2 x 12 – stay here.

Reverse barbell row: 115: 4 x 15 but shaky enough to stay. I like keep these two exercises at the same weight.

Seated shoulder press 75 lbs. 15 – 13 – 2 x 12: I’m feeling exactly as I should feel when I do these… I am just making the reps. I’ll be here a while. Shoulder therapy between sets. It’s healing & feeling stronger.

Pull ups, neutral grips… 4 x 10. They are fast and the full hang isn’t full, but I’m getting the numbers. I may have to alternate and forget about numbers from time to time.

Barbell shrugs – 4 x 15 160 lbs. this is good. Focusing on form, chin up, shoulders back & down.

EZ curls (close grip) + triceps dumbbell press behind the neck – super sets. 4 x 15 each. [45 lbs weight on the curl bar, 50 lb dumbbell]  staying here, elbows flame up during the curls and I rock too much. This is good weight for me now.

Extra stuff: between sets I am working on wrists/forearm therapy as well as shoulder therapy. It seems to be working.

Bent flies 35 lbs dbs + Ostrich (this is a hamstring exercise I picked up on line. I may have to demo, or link the video. Mike says I looked like an ostrich… so.)  4 x 15 flies, 4 x 10 ostriches. (That rhymes with bitches… ha ha ha.)

Post – protein drink… done! This was a long one, about 90 minutes.

Walk to the bus – got my lemons and stuff for lamb stew… of course I was tired, but not hungry. Had tea and casein protein shake, late. Don’t know what it will do, but it was just too hot to eat.

August tomorrow – more cardio next month.

AUGUST is here….





Summary 8-01-15: Hello August! It was an off day today, but I did get the 4 x 43 pushups done. Hung out a little bit in the eve. Pretty good day. 


80115 [Saturday #44] – Only one snooze today but it wasn’t a strong wake up. It was like zombie auto pilot. Short story, 4 x 43 pushups and other stuff. It’s August and I’m supposed to be stepping up the cardio this month.

Weight’s steady – good? Bad? Who knows.
Lamb stew for breakfast and shot of CO during AMX. Co on the bug bite (foot) got the job done. Last time it was swollen for weeks. CO took care of the itching, at least, so it could heal.

Round I: [NH].

Round II; [N] – lunch at Park’s 88%, salmon, crab, hots & veggies.

Home – made the elixir, drank tea, ate lamb.

Today’s workout was pulling up growth from the sidewalk. It was low game since I did a lot of squatting and pulling (weeds).

Then hangin’ out a bit. Not too late, Option #1 Tomorrow to start Session IV.

End of Session 3

No comments:

Post a Comment